broken egg

• 5 Replies

sneezer

• Experienced Member
broken egg
« on: August 06, 2010, 19:45 »
Hi I found one of my girls with egg coming from her vent and a piece of shell which another pulled free, I took her and gave her a bath which was a struggle and felt around the vent area and slightly inside, I don't think there is any more inside however shes looking hunched up and not happy, she is a rescue hen about 2 and this has happened before, there was a bit of a commotion earlier i thought a fox had got them from the noise but I assume it was a cat or something could the fright have brought on the softie? Am keeping an eye on her when this happened before she soon perked up.

joshbuchan

Re: broken egg
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 20:01 »
your chicken is egg bound, this means she has a egg stuck in her vent and cant get ride of it, it probly broke dud to a fright and now its stuck, i hold them abuve a boiling pan of water then i go in with the fingers and pull what i can out, also rubbing some cod liver oil up her ventwill help lube things up abit and also giving her some cod liver oil will help lub the other end up. have u had a look inside to see if u can see any more of the shell left inside? one of my chickens got really badly egg bound and now she dose not lay and her vent runs as its streched her top vent lip.... i will probly have to cull her with the cocks, but such a shame as shes a fantastic looking bird!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 21:41 by joyfull »

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 21:32 »
keep a close eye on her - if the egg broke inside her (and for this to happen she doesn't need to have been egg bound) she could end up with a severe infection which may need her to be taken to the vets for some antibiotics.
If you do have an egg bound hen then the best thing to do is sit them in a sink of warm water for at least half an hour, she should settle down and relax. When the muscles relax she should soon be able to pass the egg. Holding them over a pan of boiling water can lead to the hen getting scalded by the steam in my opinion.
Staffies are softer than you think.

joyfull

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 21:42 »
Josh i suggest you get your hen to a vets.

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 16:01 »
thanks I will keep an eye on her, she seems alot better today, any ideas on how to remove egg from the face of chickens? one is covered on one side around the eye, comb everywhere, difficult to wash that area!!

joyfull

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 19:01 »
With a damp cloth and gently soften it  :)

xx
? broken leg

Started by yellowpenguin on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 09, 2010, 09:48
by yellowpenguin
xx
Broken egg?

Started by PaulineM on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post August 22, 2010, 18:59
by PaulineM
xx
Broken egg

Started by flimbin on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 06, 2010, 17:15
by flimbin
xx
broken toe

Started by Daisycow on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post July 03, 2008, 20:59
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.403 seconds with 29 queries.