Natural chicken wormers

• 5 Replies

french bob

Natural chicken wormers
« on: July 31, 2010, 15:14 »
Hi, I live in France, North Dordogne and one of my cooks has very messy feathers around her vent. I have been told that she needs worming. I noticed a couple of wormers on this site, went onto a French chook (poule) site and boy are they anti them both. Stating not to give it to laying hens etc.  :wacko:

They did really push putting crushed garlic and/or sage leaves in the drinking water over night to infuse the good bits. I have tried cider vinegar in the water but I think I should not use the commercially produce stuff.

So anyone use garlic or sage leaves? :blush:
Another fine day for drinking French wine

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Natural chicken wormers
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 15:22 »
the only way to be sure of getting rid of all types of worms is to use something like flubenvet. This is licensed for poultry and safe to use in layers.
There are several so called organic methods - including garlic, Verm-X and Diatom however there is no proof that these would work and I doubt that they would work on things like gape worm. Perhaps treat your bird first then go down the organic method in between the 4-6 monthly treatments with the proper stuff.
Staffies are softer than you think.

CattinJ

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 15:27 »
I agree with Joyfill.  I believe that garlic and cider vinegar are good preventatives, and great for maintaining a healthy gut - as is pro-biotic or live yogurt.  But once your birds have worms, I would recommend a vetenary product like Flubenvet....was this the one you had in mind?
I've not heard about Sage leaves, but have heard Oregano is also a good preventative.

Cat

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 15:29 »
there is a company that makes an oregano product called oregostim - but I don't think they claim that it clears out worms just helps maintain a good healthy gut.

NormandyMary

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 17:04 »
I tried to buy some Flubenvet online, but was told that its not allowed in by the French, so Im at a loss as to what to buy now. I might have to wait until someone comes over for a holiday with us, and have it ordered to their house but that could be a while.

french bob

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 07:50 »
Thanks for the replies.

I only have 3 chooks. A friend of mine has about 15 and he has to have the flubenvet sent to a relatives house in the UK who then posts it to France, I will need to go down that route.  :blush:

xx
wormers

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post March 10, 2009, 20:53
by smiler43
question
organic wormers

Started by viettaclark on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 27, 2009, 15:51
by viettaclark
xx
been told this about wormers

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 06, 2008, 19:02
by karlooben
xx
For my fellow French keepers. Wormers, what do you use, and cost please.

Started by NormandyMary on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 12, 2010, 07:02
by Casey76

Page created in 0.262 seconds with 31 queries.