been told this about wormers

• 8 Replies

karlooben

« on: September 04, 2008, 20:32 »
there is a strong possiablty that a few of my girls may have worms{ have seen them in thier poo }  i am waiting for the stuff to come in via my vets as its been ordered, but someone i know  who works for another vet asked them what else i could use to worm they with and she was told that panacur puppy or kitten wormer was fine has anyone ever heard of this before .

also is there a link to another page or site that shows u pics of chickens like medical ones . i am unsure of what area is the coop :?:  { is it below the neck line }
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 20:46 »
Not sure about the panacuur would it be safe for the hens or for you to eat there egg's.

Do you mean the crop ? you'll find that just below the neck in front of the breast, it will appear quite large towards the end of the day.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 21:06 »
Panacur is not licenced for poultry but can be prescribed by a vet. If it is used eggs cann't be consumed for about 2 weeks.

The reason vets say panacur is ok is because they keep panacur in stock and it only requires one dose and perhaps another 7-10 days later.  They don't keep flubenvet in stock and it requires dosing every day for 7 days.  The other point to remember is that most vets don't know much about poultry !

You can read more about worming here:

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=4348

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 21:08 »
Here's a pic that Foxy posted ages ago handy for anatomy.

chookiepaula

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 09:27 »
I am a Vveterinary Nurse and Panacur will work fine for roundworms or tapeworms, which is what they are if you can see them in the faeces. Panacur will not treat gapeworm which is a type of worm which lives in the trachea and causes respiratory problems.

You cannot eat eggs as aunt sally says.

Flubenvet is generally not stocked in practice but they can order it in for you if you ask for it.

If they wont get it remind them they are legally bound to prescibe a licensed product over a non-licensed product ie. Flubenvet is licensed and Panacur is not!

Hope that helps  :wink:
Check out my training courses! e-mail me for details: Chicken Keeping Courses in Cambridge

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 13:00 »
Don't get stuck, if you only have a few birds I can give you some if you cover the postage costs etc  :D

si-mate

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 13:29 »
For future reference if you look up your county on this list here it gives you a list of all business qualified to sell wormers. You'll need to find one that is listed as premises type AM to find someone who is able to sell you flubenvet.

Please note that although they are licensed to sell flubenvet, they may not stock it, although they should be able to order it in for you.
A phone call before you travel is advisable!

karlooben

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 16:18 »
thankyou  very much for all the advice , i think it is flubenvet that i can get at my local  countrywide store { one opened near me not that long ago}   or my vet can order it in for me .

i'd perfer to use that then panacur { dont like the idea of throwing away loads of eggs .

thanks for the offer richyrich but i have 14 birds bet that will take up a lot of wormer .

karlooben

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008, 19:02 »
hello ,i decided to use verm-x ,  someone at my vets has hens an otehr birds an she highly recommended it have given them one does tonite an i have to do the next 2 nites appartently , hope this clears them up of worms .

also my mum bless her decided to spoil them while out getting them verm-x she also brought the girls  poulty spice an the red mite control spray... lol they are so loved already by all the family an she even paided for it all.
but now everyone in my family has to suffer mum will no longer cook chicken  :lol:  :lol:

xx
wormers

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post March 10, 2009, 20:53
by smiler43
question
organic wormers

Started by viettaclark on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 27, 2009, 15:51
by viettaclark
xx
Natural chicken wormers

Started by french bob on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 01, 2010, 07:50
by french bob
xx
For my fellow French keepers. Wormers, what do you use, and cost please.

Started by NormandyMary on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 12, 2010, 07:02
by Casey76

Page created in 0.277 seconds with 29 queries.