Broody hen not sat on all the eggs

• 2 Replies

Xxluke11xX

Broody hen not sat on all the eggs
« on: July 28, 2010, 08:07 »
hi
I have a broody buff sussex she has been sat on 10 eggs for about 19 days but today after she came out for food and water and whent back in to sitt on her eggs i noticed that there were to eggs showing and that she wasent sat on them they were behind her on the side any idears thanks  :)
L.B

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Broody hen not sat on all the eggs
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 08:28 »
she is probably just in the process of turning them all. Sometimes if the hen senses that they are not fertile she will move them out of the nest so that any gases that they give off will not contaminate the other eggs, plus the fact that if they are dead in the shell or not fertile then there is no point in sitting on them. Have you felt them? Do they feel cold, cool or still warm?
Staffies are softer than you think.

Tazzy

• Experienced Member
Re: Broody hen not sat on all the eggs
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 10:24 »
Our broody was on 12 to begin with, but found that she soon sorted out one or two that she wasn't fond of. We marked those with a dot from a marker pen so that we could keep track, and sure enough, they ended up being cold and would never have hatched. When she finally got down to the 8 that she was happy with, she didn't always manage to get them back under her when settling down, so we just edged them back under her as best as we could. However, she did manage to stretch herself right out (imagine a ballet dancer doing the splits  :blink:) so that she got some part of her over the eggs. They do know to keep all of the eggs warm that they want to hatch and will move things around when you're not looking, so as long as they all feel the same sort of temperature I wouldn't worry too much. Oh, and after they hatch, mommy knows best and doesn't appear to have read any books on the best way to rear her chicks, she just does it her way  :lol:

xx
eating fertile eggs from under a broody!! and general broody questions

Started by frenchliving on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 13, 2012, 20:58
by ANHBUC
xx
If eggs don't hatch can i replace eggs under broody hen?

Started by ---Snakey--- on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 31, 2011, 08:20
by Sassy
xx
How many eggs to put under broody?

Started by Sassy on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 09, 2012, 13:43
by ANHBUC
xx
broody, but no eggs?

Started by lucylou on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 24, 2009, 11:24
by LittleRedHen

Page created in 0.284 seconds with 29 queries.