broody, but no eggs?

• 4 Replies

lucylou

• Experienced Member
broody, but no eggs?
« on: July 23, 2009, 22:11 »
hi yet again!

this seems a ridiculous question i know, but my RIR bantam appears to have gone broody although she is not sitting on an egg (last one laid yesterday and eaten by me!) since about 4 pm today she has been on the nest and goes back straight away if i take her out! - she seems ok is it possible that she is broody? :unsure:

Kate and her Ducks

Re: broody, but no eggs?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 22:15 »
Yes, perfectl possible for them to go broody without eggs.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

lucylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 22:21 »
thanks kate for your quick reply! these little hens are so interesting to learn about - i find that amazing that they will sit without eggs!! :D AAAh poor little thing what a fruitless task! -now im thinking i should get her  some fertile eggs to hatch but havent got a clue about it! - i can see hours of research coming up, wont my husband be delighted! :)

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 22:53 »
My broody sat on nothing fro almost a fortnight while I tried to break her of it and then sat on eggs for over 4 weeks (a duck) and then had to wait for day old ducklings as none of her eggs hatched. When they're broody, they're broody!!!

Good luck. I loved having her with a little brood behind her but if you decide to go down this route make sure you have a back up plan as they seem to have a distressing habit of giving up at the last minute and leaving you with babies to raise. Not everytime but always best to have a plan B.

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 11:24 »
My maran was broody for 6 weeks before we put fertile eggs under her. 
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

Page created in 0.25 seconds with 27 queries.