Lice and feather pulling

• 1 Replies

DawnS

Lice and feather pulling
« on: July 26, 2010, 20:20 »
We have had our 3 chickens for about 3 months now, and they seem to have settled in very nicely. However one of my girls, my blue maran, is causing me some concern.

Initially, one of the other used to be a bit of a bully and peck at her quite a lot. This eventually settled down, but I did notice that the maran seemed to peck at her own feathers quite a bit too. I checked her over and discovered that she had quite a nasty lice infestation. The other two were clear though.

I have been regularly dusting all three chooks with gold label louse powder, as well as adding it to the dust bath and coop, but she still seems to have lice (although nowhere near as bad as they were). Because I am not convinced it is working, I have today bought some Johnsons anti-mite extra spray, which someone recommended to me.

My real concern is that my chicken seems to have plucked a bald patch on her chest over the past few days, as well as a couple of small areas on her wings. I am really worried that the others are going to start pecking her skin, and we are going away next week and leaving a friend here looking after them who knows nothing about chickens. Is there anything else I can try in the next few days to try and get on top of the louse issue? Or could it be something else causing her to pull her chest feathers out?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Lice and feather pulling
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 20:32 »
I use frontline spray - as it isn't licenced for poultry I get it from my vets and have to sign for it. You just part the feathers on their backs between their shoulder blades and give a quick squirt. I would treat all of your birds at the same time and thoroughly clean out the coup, spray the coup with something like poultry shield and replace the bedding. You could disguise her redness of her skin by spraying it her with purple spray so this would help to deter any of others from pecking her.
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
Feather Pulling

Started by 3Bluebelles on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post March 30, 2009, 09:42
by Debz
xx
Naughty girl feather pulling...ouch!

Started by lina on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 13, 2009, 09:35
by Aunt Sally
xx
Feather Lice?

Started by SarahJC on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 27, 2009, 22:47
by Tricky
xx
feather re-growth after lice

Started by jo40 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 26, 2009, 11:17
by jo40

Page created in 0.421 seconds with 37 queries.