tomato leaves

• 4 Replies

viettaclark

tomato leaves
« on: July 26, 2010, 00:27 »
I have many hanging baskets of Tumbling Toms and have been bragging ("pride comes before a fall" as Mum would say) about their excellent cropping.
Over the past few days I've noticed HALF of one plant is definitely wilting with leaves very floppy and yellow. Other half is fine. There's no break in the stem.
Then 2...in another area....aren't floppy...their leaves are just going yellow one by one and falling off. They're looking a bit bare!!! On the opposite side of the arch there are 2 that are fine!!!
They were all so green and healthy and are loaded with fruit......... :(
I've searched this site and Googled but haven't had any joy.
I don't think it's a virus or pest but I may be wrong. It's not aphids. It could be 2 unrelated disorders.
It could be wind damage....all the plants affected are in open aspects.
It could be over feeding.... I might have been a bit heavy handed with the comfrey/Tomorite and I potted into a rich compost/manure/topsoil/fbb mix.
I wouldn't have thought it was over-watering but the baskets are lined with plastic with no drainage holes.
Could it be under-watering? It's been pretty hot......
The baskets are only 12" so perhaps there's not enough growing medium/room?
I've been using rain water and tap water. Could cold tap water in the heat of the day cause it?

Any ideas from you wise owls? I'm scratching my head so much my hair's falling out!!! :ohmy:

(Sorry I can't put up pics because daughter has taken the camera away with her.)

Paul Plots

Re: tomato leaves
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 00:34 »
If your compost feels soggy I would make a couple of holes in the plastic liner and let them drain and dry a little... before resuming normal watering routine.

Worth a try until someone has a better idea.  ;)
Good luck.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 01:09 »
At this time of year it could be many things. I was trimming off excess tom leaves today and noticed that a lot of the lower branches were either yellow or crispy brown. This happens as the plant ages and lower leaves aren't needed. It's possible, with yours being upside down, that this has reversed for you.

toms also don't like to sit in water so one set of baskets might have less drainage than the other side (luck of the draw) and can react by yellowing. Ease up a bit on the feeding but keep up the watering after you pop a few drainage holes into the containers.

It could also be the amount of sun, or lack, that's affecting the leaves.

viettaclark

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 01:17 »
Hey hey!
Didn't think of too much sun!
Could be....plants in more shady areas are still green (if a bit behind)
Thought toms LIKED lots of sun?

SarahB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 09:33 »
Thought toms LIKED lots of sun?

They like warmth, but I'm not sure about too much sun.  I've had some toms struggling in the polytunnel (in full sun, nice and toasty) that improved when I put them in our sun room (glorified lean-to, nice and warm but only gets direct sun till lunchtime). 

xx
Tomato leaves

Started by jarigo on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 26, 2011, 20:48
by jarigo
xx
tomato leaves

Started by sootypaws on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 23, 2007, 07:26
by DD.
xx
Tomato leaves

Started by Benny130 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 13, 2015, 16:11
by Benny130
xx
tomato leaves

Started by jarigo on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 16, 2009, 23:33
by jarigo

Page created in 0.936 seconds with 36 queries.