Devastated

• 25 Replies

trimmy g

Devastated
« on: July 25, 2010, 12:50 »
Got back from a spell away to find something resembling a thousand plagues.

We share a plot - and our neighbours have decided that the best way to tackle their weeds and grassy areas, plus the grass path up the middle of our shared plot - was with weedkiller.

All our beans, courgettes, squash, corn, peas are dead.   the brassicas which were doing so well have clear signs of weedkiller damage and at the other end of the plot all the carrots, etc are dead too.   Our grassy areas we hadn't yet dealt with have dead patches too, looks like something has been spilled on it.  Their vege is all at one end of their plot and has escaped pretty well ok, though there is the odd damaged plant.   

No sign of our neighbours but the other allotment holders all gathered round and were very sympathetic - amazingly though the chap who runs the sight says there is nothing he can do as there is nothing in the rules to stop people using weedkiller.

So after a lot of heartsearching we have decided to call it quits and will concentrate on growing stuff at home.   It's so disappointing but I can't see a lot of point in continuing as it could easily happen again.  It's only a couple of weeks since they had a huge bonfire buring all sorts, including paint cans and wellington boots.  Unbelievable.

We've managed to get quite a lot started and thriving at home, do you guys think it's the best plan in the long run?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Devastated
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 13:04 »
The chap who runs the site is running away from his obligations I'd say.

It is his job to prevent plot holders from causing a nuisance to other plot holders and to the residence near the site.

If your neighbour has caused your veg. to be damaged they should be officially reprimanded at the very least.  If (as on most sites) weed killers are permitted they must be used in a responsible way.

Also material should not be brought onto the site for burning. Only non-compostable material from the plot should be burnt. 

I'd kick the chap who runs the site and make him deal with the issues instead of burying his head in the soil.  (I'm speaking as the secretary of an allotment management committee.)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 13:06 by Aunt Sally »

elrohana

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 13:22 »
I agree with Aunty - their behaviour is at best irresponsible and at worst downright destructive - on our plots we have rules and if you step out of line you get a warning - enough warnings and off you go.  And plenty of the old-timers will stand up and enforce the rules even if the committee are nowhere in sight.  Complain and force them to do something - AND make sure your stupid neighbours realise what they have done.  They sound like idiots, who uses that amount of weedkiller on a plot anyway?!!
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 13:27 »
They probably sprayed the weed killer which is very dangerous if there is a slight breeze.  A watering can and trickle bar is much less likely to cause problems with drifting.

zazen999

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 13:38 »

We share a plot.....amazingly though the chap who runs the sight says there is nothing he can do as there is nothing in the rules to stop people using weedkiller.

Sorry - but yes there is something he can do - as using weedkiller on your own plot to kill weeds is one thing, letting weedkiller kill crops on a neighbour's is another. They should be kicked off for sabotage.

8doubles

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 13:40 »
I hope you do not mind me asking but how long is a spell. If it is a month and nobody did any watering the effects would be similar to weedkiller if the weather was hot.

If the neighbour is responsible i would expect amends to be made for lost crops and wasted effort or the culprit to lose their plot.

One 'sorry' would not suffice.

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 13:42 »
I haven't had a plot for long so am not fully up on the etiquette, but I would expect your committee to do more than nothing! I can only suggest you talk to another member, and see if you can get some support so that your neighbours are given (at the least) a stern talking too. I hope you'll reconsider giving in a plot can be a really joyous thing
Link to my first attempt at a diary: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.0

Comments & suggestions on my diary welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113518.0

Spend ytd: £293.44 (setting up plot 29 has been expensive) Harvest ytd: £163.93 (as at 8/8)

trimmy g

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 13:42 »
Aunt Sally yes it was spray type weedkiller, I saw them with it about 3 weeks ago.

It's a funny old setup down at our site, people do seem to keep themselves to themselves and are particularly dismissive of us newcomers - the chap in charge has a kind of 'well I've seen it all before and it'll be fine if you just stick at it' attitude but he seems well liked by the old timers ....

I know we should probably be fighting more but it's so doubtful that they would get kicked off and we end up getting really upset and concerned at what will happen when we turn our backs!  They just don't seem to bother - we got there once to water and they were happily using our hosepipe dragged right through our potatoes.   Never even had the decency to blush!

trimmy g

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2010, 13:44 »
8doubles,

fair point but it was only 4 days, and we had really given them a good dousing before, the damage seems consistent with weedkiller, plus all the dead/dying grassy areas and weeds must have had something on them?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2010, 14:11 »
I'd be dammed if I'd let them get away with that kind of behaviour  >:(

(sorry for the language)

nilsatis1964

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2010, 14:33 »
On our site the rules about using weedkiller are very clear and it can only be applied by watering can on non windy days.  If anyone had done what has been said on our site they would have been up before the committee and very likely lost their plot if not contrite and offered to make amends.
Time waits for no man and I can't wait for growth.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2010, 14:35 »
Who does the site belong to ?

trimmy g

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2010, 15:01 »
It's council owned.   

We'll definitely make them aware of the poor management of the site, but as far as our future there is concerned we will probably salvage what we can and give it up.  Our neighbour won't be kicked off because the site chap said we couldn't really prove anything.   I ask you ....

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2010, 15:09 »
Find out who's the Chair of the Open Spaces Committee on the Council.  Contact them strongly and ask for the situation to be investigated and any rules necessary to be tightened up. 

We contacted local papers when we had a problem with the council dragging their feet.  Weed killers are so unfashionable nowadays that the Council won't want any adverse publicity.

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2010, 15:35 »
#Perhaps if the site manager wont doing anything about the offending plot holder he would be willing to move you to another plot away from the effects of weedkiller? Worth a try?

xx
munty is devastated today

Started by muntjac on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post August 26, 2007, 12:58
by Fat Hen
xx
I think my slugs must be coffee snobs! (Sweetcorn devastated)

Started by Spr0ut on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 04, 2014, 09:27
by dugless

Page created in 0.62 seconds with 31 queries.