I think my slugs must be coffee snobs! (Sweetcorn devastated)

• 4 Replies

Spr0ut

Three weeks ago I planted some brassicas and marigolds and surrounded each plant with about 1/4 depth of wate coffee grounds because I had heard that they are very nutritious for the plant and slugs don't like coffee grounds so a double plus.

- since then we have had two good heavy downpours and despite there still being a good amount of coffee grounds left on the surface around each plant, the slugs have breached the grounds and munched the plants heavily.

I wanted to see if the coffee grounds thing was worthwhile, but it seems it only works in drier conditions - when slugs are not around anyway.

Or maybe my slugs are fussy and it needs to be a certain brand of coffee they do or do not like.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 08:11 by Spr0ut »

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: I think my slugs must be coffee snobs!
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 17:34 »
I believe that coffee grounds come into the category of 'the barrier method' for deterring slugs and as such are usually a bit too fine for that. Like most 'barriers' slugs find them far less of an obstacle when wet.

They are a decent source of nutrients to add to your compost bin though - a kind of 'brown' ingredient with added nitrogen (amongst other elements.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Spr0ut

Re: I think my slugs must be coffee snobs!
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 21:22 »
Yes - I believe the test that were carried out were with Expresso grounds so a whole lot stronger in caffeine to filter grounds. They also sprayed leaves with an Expresso strength solution and this meant the slugs wouldn't eat the leaves.

On the other hand, I have found that a generous sprinkling of calcified seaweed is a good barrier, which stays a lot longer through rain until the plant is big enough to cope with an occasional slug attack.

Spr0ut

Its official (according to me anyway) - walked my dog down to the allotment this morning to find my 30-odd sweetcorn plants eaten down to about 6 left across the bed. Coffee grounds are absolutely useless as a slug deterrent or barrier.

The EU have nothing to fear about the illegality of using coffee grounds as an unregistered slug poison - they don't work!

Luckily I have another tray waiting in the wings. I should never have experimented with such a high-end crop.  You'd have seen a grown man cry, I was so devastated - well the sweetcorn was anyway.

dugless

Slugs are very rampant this year they even got by slug pellets and devastated my runner beans.

I have had my chimney swept so have some soot I am going to try that I don't care what the EU thinks. 
Time is more precious than Gold
Spend it Wisely

xx
Coffee loving slugs

Started by green_lolly on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 20, 2015, 07:20
by lettice
xx
SOS - Tried Coffee Grinds- Lettuces Still Eaten By Slugs!!

Started by whitespirit66 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 21, 2009, 12:39
by richyrich7
sad
Devastated

Started by trimmy g on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post July 26, 2010, 20:26
by Half a plot man
xx
munty is devastated today

Started by muntjac on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post August 26, 2007, 12:58
by Fat Hen

Page created in 0.592 seconds with 37 queries.