Confused by sick tomatoes

• 10 Replies

SarahB

• Experienced Member
Confused by sick tomatoes
« on: July 22, 2010, 11:29 »
There's obviously something wrong with my tomatoes.  Some of the leaves go yellow in between the veins, then later the yellow patches darken, and then die off.  Is this classic magnesium deficiency?  I've tried both spraying with Epsom salts and watering it in, but it's not had much of an effect except on a few beefsteak tomatoes that had practically keeled over (and they were watered in at about 3 oz to the gallon, which seems to be a bit high!)

Some of the other toms have the same pattern of markings, but they go dark immediately rather than yellow first - then die off.  :(  Is this a different deficiency?  The toms are all growing in 5l pots, in standard compost with a slow-release fertiliser added.  I was feeding with Tomorite about once a week, but stopped that to feed with the Epsom salts, as I read somewhere that toms will take up potash in preference.  Can anyone suggest what I'm doing wrong here, and what to do to correct it?  The plants are flowering and seem to be fruiting ok (no blossom end rot), though some of the fruits look 'patchy' as they ripen - ok once red though.

If only they were as easy to grow as cucumbers - my cukes give me far less hassle!    ???
yellowtom2.jpg
bluetom2.jpg

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Confused by sick tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 11:41 »
The epsom salts doesn't seem to put the patchy leaves to rights...it just means that any new foliage shouldn't suffer in the same way. If the tops of your tom plants are ok, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Carry on feeding as normal but just add a little epsom salts to the feed as well. It's what I do and I've not killed them yet :D

I really wish that I considered cucumbers easy........far from it in my experience :(, so count your blessings :lol:

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 12:42 »
I totally agree with mumofstig, they will be OK and you'll get a great crop
Paul

SarahB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 19:39 »
Many thanks for that - I thought I'd completely munged it by putting slow-release stuff in, and the Epsom salts wouldn't have any effect! 

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 19:56 »
If the epsom salts does not seem to be working I would give them a dose of multi purpose fertilizer. It worked for me when I had the same symptoms.

daisy1990

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 20:47 »
I would also cut off any leaves that are really yellow/ turning brown as they can be a focus for secondary infections.  Tomato plants always have more leaves than they need so wont miss the bottom few pairs (some of mine have their leaves cut off to half way up the plant and still produce great tomatoes)

Tomato food needs to be used at every water after the first trusses are set so you may not have given them enough (potting compost loses its nutrients very quickly when you water it a lot which of course you do with tomatoes)

Finally Epsom salts does stop the deficiency getting worse but needs using at the first signs (once the leaves are very yellow they wont turn back green!)

Hope this helps
Daisy
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

SarahB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 12:31 »
Thanks!  I don't know how "hungry" tomatoes are... cucumbers seem to respond really rapidly to feeding, whereas tomatoes don't.  Perhaps because they carry more fruit for longer?  The toms are starting to ripen now though, and are looking good.  If all else fails, there's always green tomato chutney.  :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 22:13 »
Tomato food needs to be used at every water after the first trusses are set so you may not have given them enough (potting compost loses its nutrients very quickly when you water it a lot which of course you do with tomatoes)

Sorry but it's not necessarily the case that you should water with every feed.  The instructions on the bottle should be followed.  It is possible to over-feed, leaving an unpleasant taste in the tomato, and too much of one nutrient can mean that the plant's ability to absorb other nutrients is compromised.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

daisy1990

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, 17:10 »
Phostrogen and Tomarite both state every feed and its what I have always done and I have tasty toms!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2010, 17:17 »
That's not what my Tomorite bottle says.

Feeding them every time won't necessarily adversely affect them, just make them more expensive to grow!

« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 17:18 by DD. »
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

SarahB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2010, 09:40 »
I'm feeding about once a week (if that) with Tomorite, though I've got some seaweed decomposing in a covered bucket that should be about ready to go now!  I've been doing the Epsom salts once or twice a week instead.  There are masses of flowers, and the fruit's ripening nicely and tastes great, so I'm not worried too much!  :)

thumbdown
Sick tomatoes

Started by tonybarebones on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 08, 2009, 01:30
by Trillium
xx
Confused

Started by sparky on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post January 18, 2008, 18:02
by fletch
xx
Confused

Started by oakridge on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post April 06, 2016, 09:27
by oakridge
xx
a bit confused now

Started by the spiv on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post April 23, 2012, 23:07
by RichardA

Page created in 0.439 seconds with 38 queries.