I'm confused ....

• 18 Replies

BabbyAnn

Re: I'm confused ....
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2012, 13:50 »
Sometimes I cover with black plastic sheeting because:

Here comes one vote for covering the soil  :lol:

Despite many who disagree with me, I cover my empty raised beds with black plastic in the winter as it stops them getting waterlogged and warms the soil nicely in the Spring.

and absolutely agree with:

The trouble with covering to stop weeds growing is that they all suddenly grow when you take the covers off again  ::)  :nowink:

Sometimes I leave the beds uncovered because:

all the time the frost breaking it up.

However, this is not strictly true for all soil types:

I would leave it on top for the worms to do their work. Put your feet up you have probably deserved it. In the spring you should just have to give it a light forking over, Saves all that hard work.

because (1) the worms didn't do their work and the manure and compost just sat on the top all winter and (2) because the heavy clay soil  had settled and got compacted by rain and needed a mattock rather than a light forking over that spring.

I did think the beds where I had dug trenches and filled with old compost in autumn had better soil texture the following spring.

And to add my pennithworth to the debate LOL, I'm in favour of growing an overwintering green manure rather than leaving beds open to the elements - the roots anchor the soil, the soil isn't half as waterlogged by spring which also helps to warm it up quicker, and thirdly when it is dug into the soil, it will break down and provide the nutrients that summer crops need.

Welsh Merf

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2012, 15:02 »
Love it Babyann! LOL

My reasons for not covering the manure are simple:

I work all week, so I only have weekends - unless dearest Mrs James has other plans for me.

The method worked for my father and his brother.

The allotment ground is sandy, rather than clay.

Saying that, if my cunning plan doesn't work, I'll have to kick myself in the "green grass" next spring!
I may be Welsh, but I love ewe anyway!

See my diary pages here

and add a comment here

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2012, 15:12 »
Leaching of nutrients out of the soil largely depends on soil type and how well drained  the soil is - the sandier it is, the more likely to loose nutrients it is as they are flushed away. If you have any amount of clay in the soil (and organic matter) or if your soil is prone to puddling after heavy rain, then leaching should not be a huge consideration.
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

snowdrops

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2012, 22:26 »
This year i have covered beds with cardboards to try and supress the weeds, then covered the carcboard with a big covering of manure!!!.

It sounded a good idea in my head!! I hope im not the only one!!! :wacko:

No you're not the only one,do a site search for lasagne beds. Check out mine,eco dolly & I think Kirpie's diary pages. Worked well for me & I will definitely be doing more of it next year.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

xx
Confused

Started by oakridge on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post April 06, 2016, 09:27
by oakridge
xx
I'am confused

Started by hiccup on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 20, 2014, 22:24
by gavinjconway
xx
Very confused about Tom

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 01, 2007, 23:11
by Aunt Sally
xx
Confused!

Started by suesowsseed on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 06, 2010, 19:54
by Trillium

Page created in 0.803 seconds with 29 queries.