will the other hens attack a broody?

• 7 Replies

jobson336

• Experienced Member
will the other hens attack a broody?
« on: July 20, 2010, 21:29 »
hi all,

the other day my hen started to spend a lot of time in the coop on her own in the nesting box, i assume she was getting broody, when i tried to collect the eggs she and the others had laid she was rosey and seemed none too pleased.
i turfed her out with the others and she continued her rosey, then the others started to attack her, is this possibly coz she is broody or something else? she had been hogging the nesting box although there are 2 to choose from they insist on that one!

i seperated her as i was going away that morning leaving my neighbour to look after them and didnt want to leave her with them attacking her, she is eating and drinkink fine and am planning on putting her back in with the others when it is dark tonight and see how they get on in the morning.
do other hens attack a broody?
thanks ???

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: will the other hens attack a broody?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 22:59 »
Some hens do attack broodies as they think they should be sat on the eggs and help raise some of their offspring.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Tosca

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 23:07 »
We have a broody hen and our others are just ignoring her. I do shut her out of the nesting boxes after the others have laid though, so she isn't apart from the rest for too long each day.

jamima

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 14:01 »
I have a broody when she comes out the other 2 attack her . :)

hillfooter

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 14:56 »
Some hens do attack broodies as they think they should be sat on the eggs and help raise some of their offspring.

Being the 'Broody' is a responsibility to the flock and all the other hens will try to contribute to the clutch so when she leaves the nestbox the others will try to remind her of her responsibilities and try to drive her back to sitting on the eggs.

It's interesting to identify the  roles each chicken has to the flock and with a bit of patience and quiet observation you should be able to identify what the pecking order is and who the guard chickens are.   If you saw "the secret lives of chickens" they touched on some of this behaviour and it's a pity they didn't go into it in a bit more detail because this aspect is probably the most interesting for keepers.  In the programme they indicated the cock takes the guard role but when there's no cock one of the henjs will do it and often there's two.  You can usually tell if danger looms the guard chicken will usually get between the flock and the danger and warn them.  If you have a dog take them upto the run and watch their behaviour.  When I have lost hens to foxes while they have been grazing it's always the guard chickens who are taken.  In fact the popular notion of a chicken being cowardly isn't so a hen will face danger to protect her young and the guard chickens will protect the flock and go to meet the danger.  Obviously a fox in the run is another situation which can't be protected against.

HF
Truth through science.

jobson336

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 21:28 »
thanks again guys, helpful as always. she seems to have gone off being broody after being seperated for a couple of days, they accepted her back in the coop last night when it was dark but had another peck at her this morning when they all came out so i put her in a run in the middle of the bigger run so they were together safely and could see eachother.
i let them mix again about 7ish and they all seem fine again now, see if she goes broody again once she gets in the nesting box! ::)

sandra g

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 21:44 »
i am so glade i read this topic
i have 5 hens and for the year we've had them they have been ok till now, 4 attacking one pulling her neck fathers out. ill sort a separation tomorrow see how they go
thanks

Junie

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 21:48 »
Mine attaked the broody's too, they were only coming out for a few minutes for some treat, the rooster was none too pleased either!  I did not have them seperated, because had no where to put them. 

xx
Which hens for our broody? Need good layers and hardy hens, - which to choose

Started by sarahkk on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 18, 2011, 12:24
by sarahkk
xx
Attack hens

Started by marygall on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 24, 2009, 20:48
by marygall
xx
lost 2 hens to a dog attack

Started by craig1981 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 07, 2010, 19:24
by craig1981
xx
plants that your hens don't attack

Started by mumof4 on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post June 10, 2008, 19:22
by PJM

Page created in 0.405 seconds with 29 queries.