Greenhouse Cucumbers

• 20 Replies

Bizzi Lizzi

Greenhouse Cucumbers
« on: July 19, 2010, 17:00 »
My plant needs help and I need advice!  Have had two lovely cucumbers off the one plant today and they are nice and healthy and a good size.  Unfortunately most of the babies that have come through are turning yellow and dying.  I water regularly but not too much as I thought that yellowing was a sign of over-watering, but nothing seems to be helping.  The plant's not on the sunny side of the greenhouse and it has plenty of room and support to grown.  I even sing to the beep beep thing - could be my voice I suppose - but I'm more inclined to think it's something I'm NOT doing.  

Any ideas?  (Not about singing lessons though)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Greenhouse Cucumbers
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 17:34 »
the one I have is doing the same thing it sets a couple and 'aborts' all the others till you pick the ready ones....and then another few set and off we go again ::)

If anyone has an answer I'd be very interested..........I'm at the stage with cues that as long as they live and give me the occasional fruit, then I'm happy :ohmy:

Bizzi Lizzi

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 17:40 »
Sorry to hear about your plant but it makes me feel better knowing I'm not alone.  I've picked the two that were ready so fingers crossed that a couple more will grow to maturity.

I don't like mysteries so any ideas, even if someone say the plant is a dud, will be appreciated.

goodegg

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 18:36 »
my cucumbers are in the greenhouse i water once a week unless they start to flag and ive got so many cues i dont know if the plant will survive the weight of them all i have never had a plant with so many and ive been growing them for over 50 years iits such a funny year beetroots dont do any thing toms havent rippened yet but cues are to good. there burpless tasty green

andy135

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 19:26 »
I'm having the same problen and it looks like I'm overwatering. I do them every day along with my toms.

DavidT

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 19:57 »
What are the varieties? Some need pollinating, some don`t.

These ones, though they are greenhouse  cucumbers, need pollinating.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 20:05 »
My plant needs help and I need advice!  Have had two lovely cucumbers off the one plant today and they are nice and healthy and a good size.  Unfortunately most of the babies that have come through are turning yellow and dying.  I water regularly but not too much as I thought that yellowing was a sign of over-watering, but nothing seems to be helping.  The plant's not on the sunny side of the greenhouse and it has plenty of room and support to grown.  I even sing to the beep beep thing - could be my voice I suppose - but I'm more inclined to think it's something I'm NOT doing.  

Any ideas?  (Not about singing lessons though)

I only water mine when the top of the soil isn't damp, and pour water into an upside down bottomless bottle alongside the rootball.That nmigth help if it is overwatering  :unsure:

The ones in the greenhouse have reached the roof now and have plenty of fruits growing but Mumofstig's suggesion about fruits being aborted until some are picked might be true of your variety.

And if they need pollinating that could be why they are falling off -- check the varity as David suggested.

and good luck, they are fickle beasts, those cucumbers  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Bizzi Lizzi

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 20:11 »
Can't remember off hand what variety the cucumber is, but I certainly think I've over -watered.  There are plenty of flowers on the plants, baby cues too but they get to about an inch and half and die.  Will keep an eye out now that I've picked my crop of two!

Thanks for the advice.

andy135

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 20:18 »
Mine are Telegraph Improved. What they were like before I don't know!  :lol:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 20:27 »
Mine are Telegraph Improved. What they were like before I don't know!  :lol:

Ditto  :D :D :D 8)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 08:16 »
I think Cucumbers are self regulating ... they carry two or three fruit and don't set any more until the first lot are picked.

SarahB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 09:25 »
It seems to be dependent on the variety as well - one we grew the year before last kept flowering and fruiting until it needed feeding, when it nearly keeled over.  The one I've got this year (Passandra?) is great, but it's a mini variety, and if I leave any cucumbers on too long then all the little fruits go yellow.  Taking all the fruit off and giving it a feed gets it going again though.

Springlands

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2010, 09:32 »
Do not forget to keep the floor and staging damp - I learnt that lesson this year. Think I had forgotten that because we have had such rotten weather over the last few years. :)

Bizzi Lizzi

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2010, 10:13 »
Done the damping down for some time now.  Just been to look at the plant and I just think it recents me now.  Nothing healthy looking at all, but will be going in again later to sing at it.  That will kill or cure it.

Bizzi Lizzi

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2010, 12:05 »
Did the only decent thing and put my cucumber plant out of it's misery ... or so I thought!  Left it in disgust on top of the raised bed two days ago and there are tens of babies on it, none of which seem to be aborting.  What can I say.  Maybe tough love does work.

xx
Greenhouse cucumbers.

Started by daveypark on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 18, 2009, 15:56
by Kristen
xx
Greenhouse Cucumbers

Started by Alex 98 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 07, 2009, 08:37
by savbo
xx
Red Spider in Greenhouse on Cucumbers

Started by Kristen on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 22, 2010, 16:52
by Kristen
clip
What is nibbling my greenhouse cucumbers?

Started by EssexPete on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 21, 2018, 22:05
by Mr Dog

Page created in 0.558 seconds with 38 queries.