what stages are your veg at?

• 22 Replies

sarah-king

• Experienced Member
what stages are your veg at?
« on: June 25, 2010, 12:54 »
I have containers raised beds and a greenhouse...

Raised beds -  fed and watered well but everything slow growing..all planted the earliest i could and protected when needed... carrots and beets about 4 inches high, salad leaves and mini icebergs seem to have put on a bit of a spurt but small, onions lots of green not bulbing up yet, purple sprouting broccoli and cabbages growing great  :D mangetout just flowering

Runnerbeans just started flowering, toms in greenhouse have lots of flowers and growing fast, peppers seem to be growing after a slow start no flowers yet

courgette not very big and cuc small plant as well..

Potatoes have started dying back now so will see at the weekend if i get much from them.

I feel like i am so behind.. my veg doesnt want to grow this year lol

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
Re: what stages are your veg at?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 12:59 »
sarah mine are exactly the same exactly as you describe

that frost was minus 6 on my plot it burnt my spuds even though they had a good fleece on them and im not getting much of a yield  :wub:
but hey its my first year and im sure mother nature will give us both a helping hand at some point  so chin up did you plant any brussels?

sarah-king

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 13:07 »
No i didnt plant brussels this year, its my first year in this house  and as my allotment was too far to travel to i had to give it up... so had to get my raised beds built... and i forgot  ..oops  everything i grow is at home... maybe they are too well looked after!

horticgirl

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 13:35 »
your plot is ahead of mine! I don't have any flowers on my runner beans yet. Just getting a few small broad beans.
My earlies still aren't ready, in my impatience i keep peeping and digging a few tiny ones up!
My carrots are doing well and I have some lettuce ready.
I think summer was slow to get going this year. I remember eating broad beans and new potatoes on fathers day last year!

Babstreefern

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 15:39 »
I've just today got back from France :lol:.  One of the plot-holders has got my key (my plot came fenced, and with a gate that locks, so I can't get in) he was watering my stuff in the greenhouse.  So I'm really dreading what I might find.  It was free of weeds when we left it :wacko:
Babs

chris23005

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 15:56 »
I moved from North Yorks last September and am now in North Staffs, but despite the few extra degrees warmth we get here, my veg is still a bit behind.

The tomatoes I grew from seed never really got started properly so after a very long wait I went and bought a couple of plants from the garden centre and at the same time sowed another lot. These popped up in no time and are now ready to plant out. The other tomato plants are in flower whereas I have friends who tell me they already have tomatoes coming. All my toms are outside though.

My potatoes have done fairly well and I harvested my earlies at the end of May, and have dug up my main crop this afternoon - all are in containers and the compost down at the bottom to middle was very dry. However, the potatoes are a good size (need to be quartered to cook) and there are still little buds of potatoes on the plants so I have replanted them and given them a good soaking to see what happens. I still have second earlies to come - that has confused me as I thought they would be second to harvest!

However, everything else is still slow - broad beans are forming but we will be lucky to get a plateful, salad onions are like yours, just green. Carrots are looking good at the top, stawberries are doing REALLY well (see my other post) but dwarf and french beans and sweet peas are infuriatingly slow. Peas are just beginning to race ahead now. Even my courgette has only just had its first flower today. Oooh - but I dug up my autumn planted garlic the other day and it is now PERFECT! So that is one success!

I thought I planted everything at the right time and we didn't get hit by the really bad frosts and in any case I covered it all up or brought it into the garage, so I am none the wiser as to why it is all so behind I am afraid.

Anyway - know that you are not alone!  :tongue2:

Yabba

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 18:00 »
My year is about a month/6 weeks behind last year, and last year I thought to myself "I could have started this lot off a month earlier!" ... and then we had last winter ;)

Most of my stuff is juuuuust about getting going this year, whereas last year it had already hit the roof ;)

¥

purplebean

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 18:23 »
My broad beans are finally flowering, very pretty black and white flowers
Toms just flowering and can see the first tiny green toms
sweetcorn just starting to get going
psb growing like crazy
leaves plentiful and delicious
not much else happening as I sowed lots of things late

purplebean

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 18:30 »
justn remembered that my alpine strawberries are full of ripe berries right now and the first big strawberry will be ready for picking tomorrow

Starling

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2010, 18:39 »
Strawberries galore
Broad beans flowering
A few courgettes
Carrot thinnings worth eating
Tiny tomatoes
Potatoes as big as jelly beans
Only a couple of pea pods
Runner beans and sweetcorn not doing much at all so a bit of a mixed bag really.

Cazzy

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2010, 19:04 »
I think we can be up to as much as a month behind up here.

Toms are flowering
Two rather beautiful, fat, 6in cucumbers on one plant
Kohl rabi are about golfball size
Broccoli has up to 5in heads
First earlies are mocking me, no flowers and about 6-10in tall
Second earlies, the flowers are starting to die off
Main crop are just starting to flower and about 2ft high
Sugarsnap peas have started to pod
Second attempt at peas, looks like 100% germination this time, thankfully
Herbs are just starting to get to a stage I can use
Courgettes look like they might flower this week
Everything else is still fairly immature

I have harvested some lettuce and strawberries, so thats a bonus

What if the Hokey Cokey IS what its all about...

Swee'pea

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2010, 20:06 »
cut my first courgette yesterday another is swelling and a lot of flowers opened today.
mixed salad leaves have been plentiful and oldest are going to seed, pak choi were nice but bolted very quickly, dwarf beans just starting to get tiny beans showing, greenshaft peas have pods on now and french and runners haven't even begun to flower although i think i can see some flower buds just appearing. tomatoes have gone mad and growing tips have been picked out, tiny toms showing on lower trusses now :) had to resow cucumber plants as the first were so slow to grow the snails ate them. onions in raised bed are growing on slowly but no signs of any swelling yet whilst some i grew from seed in poly tunnel are sweeling in the tray. Carrots are beginning to yield some nice baby thinnings that can be used, garlic has huge spikes showing and second earlies ( charlottes0 gave us some early and very tasty baby spuds. Should be ready to be all dug up in about a week or so i reckon. Herbs are all now romping away too. Sweetpeas are infuriatingly small at the minute with hardly any growth and no sign of buds

mobilekat

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2010, 20:15 »
This year is definitely odd.

Rocket, cut and come again lettuce and basil, all cropping well.
Broad beans and French beans flowering, Sweetpeas planted same day are thinking....

Purple Kale and  Chard tasting great
Tomatoes, finally setting and small green ones gradually growing.

Black Kale, slowly growing, leeks, small and cute looking!

garlic, same size as leeks- but was planted late!

All in all this year is odd, and plants are happily doing their own thing!
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

Spana

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2010, 20:24 »
Have a look through the diary section, lots of us update photos of our plots to show how thing are progressing or not. :lol:  Then you can compare ::)

Irene

• Experienced Member
    • Idaho Gardening
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2010, 21:15 »
A rather interesting year so far with great success in many areas, so let's talk about what's not so great:

Climbing beans...may not happen;

Peas..awful germination and still some spaces...though I keep planting...

Yellow Pak Choi..an experiment that failed.

Patty Pan squashes..just not doing great, wrong place, etc., I just don't know.

All else harvesting well and looking pretty darn good....though leeks are just going into the ground.

xx
onion sets - all at once or in stages ?

Started by plinston27 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 27, 2013, 15:39
by DD.

Page created in 0.441 seconds with 28 queries.