Found something that my Chickens really Love to eat

• 19 Replies

NooNoosdad

:) Last night after our evening meal we had some Boiled Long Grain Rice left over following a Chilli Con Carne. We were about to throw it in the Compost Bin then I remembered something in a book about Hens liking this to eat.
I put some in an old pet feeding bowl and placed it in the run. I have never ever seen my Chickens attack food like this they (pardon the pun), gobbled it up in seconds. I replenished the dish and it was all eaten. They absolutely loved it :)

pigeonpie

Re: Found something that my Chickens really Love to eat
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 12:19 »
Mine love rice and left over pasta too.  During the winter when there wasn't much vegetation for them to pick at we boiled up some potatoes in the skins for them every night and they loved them. 

anton3181

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 14:51 »
You want to try them with rice crispies mine love them.

grumpydad

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 15:07 »
if possible try to use brown rice rather than white rice, same reason as for us humans, more goodness in the brown.
ours love cooked vegetables, far more than raw ones, cauli is devoured like there is no tomorrow.

pigeonpie

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 15:14 »
It's scary to think that our chickens probably have healthier diets than most kids!  With the amount of fresh fruit and veg, wholegrain pasta and extra proteins in the way of slugs and woodlice that my girls eat they should live to be 100!!!!

NormandyMary

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 17:24 »
My chooks love rice too, but...they prefer it when its been fried in a wok with onion, lardons, peas and sweetcorn. It will alwo have a stock cube in it and soy sauce. Its the rice I do for my husbands sweet and sour chicken, obviously they dont get the meat! Its their absolute favourite, and Ive just realised, Ill do some for Monty now to try and cheer him up!!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 17:33 »
Sugar and salt are very bad for your chooks so don't add salt when cooking the rice or pasta for them.

NormandyMary

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 19:07 »
Sugar and salt are very bad for your chooks so don't add salt when cooking the rice or pasta for them.
Thanks Aunt Sally Ill remember that in future. Just gave Monty some plain rice (and the other chooks of course)whch he ate with gusto. He forgot himself and ran to the door of the henhouse when I called the other girls and threw the rice into their run. He's a bit unsteady on his feet 'cos he's a bit weak poor lamb. Im thinking of bringing him outdoors in a large box with straw tomorrow so that he can get some fresh air. It may cheer him up a bit.

grumpydad

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 21:31 »
we never use salt in the cooking anymore, means it can all go to the chucks afterwards

stan deakin

• Stan's Bantams
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 14:11 »
i give mine a slice of webbox dog food its like a big roll of polony it only costs 50p they go bonkers for it try it mine is from sainsburys :lol:

stan

evie2

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2010, 19:16 »
Our old girls LOVED rice, hope the new ones do too  :D
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

shetan

• Experienced Member
  • a wandering soul in a gsd body
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2010, 07:54 »
mine like washed out baked beans and the dog's dry food....if its been wetted down. he usually ignores them when they wander over and have a nosey about his bowl. they also like half frozen grapes when its too hot.

yesterday a neighbur dropped off some radishes that had goone to seed with the radishes still attached. i threw it all in the run...they ate the greens and left the radishes...left me wondering - should i a throw a peeler in next time with the root veg? maybe they'll wash, peel and cut for me after they're done with the green tops!

1 Husband, 3 German Shepherds, 3 Black Jersey Giants, 3 White Jersey Giants, 1 White Jersey Cross, 1Blue Buff Columbian Brahma, 2 Buff Columbian Brahma, 1 White Columbian Brahma,  3 Gold Brahmas, 2 Golden Quail, 2 Giant Continental Rabbits and a Sister!

NooNoosdad

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010, 09:58 »
 :) Wow Hens are such wonderfull creatures and make short work of disposing of leftovers !
We had some leftover (cooked) Tagliatelle Pasta last night so I decided to give them a bit of an Italian treat. I thought it best to wash and rinse the Carbonara Sauce off first though. They absolutely 'Woofed' it down.....hoping they'll produce some more lovely eggs today.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2010, 10:02 »
then you can make some egg pasta to cook just for them  :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

Trisha

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2010, 10:08 »
Yes mine love cooked rice too.   :)  There fave foods so far are tomatoes, cooked tattie peelings, cooked rice and cooked porage, they go nuts for it  :lol:

xx
We found some chickens

Started by Mitsy on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 16, 2007, 21:51
by agapanthus
xx
found 4 dead chickens !

Started by sam4530s on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post November 06, 2011, 19:26
by bantam novice
xx
Does anyone elses chickens love the rain?

Started by neenyneen on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 06, 2011, 12:09
by Helenaj
xx
is it love?????? lol lol lol

Started by JACDORE on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 08, 2011, 19:24
by Anndee

Page created in 0.268 seconds with 37 queries.