Carrot tank

• 3 Replies

acwid

Carrot tank
« on: June 11, 2010, 23:18 »
Hi folks need your advice on the carrot tank ,I have acquired a large water tank just need to know how deep does the compost need to be and how thick do I need to sow also which variety is best suited for the tank many thanks.

Trillium

Re: Carrot tank
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 19:47 »
First be sure you have bottom drainage holes or your tank will turn into a swamp, and place a bit of weed barrier or crockery over the holes to keep soil from sneaking out. Set the barrel where you want it as it will be very heavy with soil in. You'd need only about 18" of soil mix - some soil, lots of sand, only a little compost. Some folk use 24" for longer varieties. Any carrot variety will grow but if you chose the longer Imperator types then you'll need the 24". Some carrots like Baby fingers would grow with only 10". As the seeds are so fine it's hard to space them but give it a try. Once they start growing you can start to thin them a bit and the thinnings make nice additions to salads so don't think they're a waste. You'll need to water often (due to the sand) unless you get a lot of regular rain. And now is the time to plant.

acwid

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 21:46 »
Many thanks for your advice I will get on with it asap, have to check out a second hand green house tomorrow ready for next years season thanks again Chris.

solway cropper

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 22:52 »
water tank!!

for the last couple of weeks I've been eating superb baby carrots as thick as my index finger from a container about nine inches deep. You should be able to grow some giants

xx
Carrot fly planting now avoids carrot fly?

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 07, 2019, 06:52
by Pescador
xx
fish tank

Started by mashbintater on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 30, 2008, 22:18
by mashbintater
xx
Algae in Water Tank

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 28, 2013, 16:11
by bazial
xx
Green Algae in a water tank

Started by Debags on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 08, 2020, 09:47
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.482 seconds with 28 queries.