carrot sowing

• 17 Replies

acwid

carrot sowing
« on: June 07, 2010, 16:56 »
Hi folks need some advice on sowing carrots have sown a row in early May sown as suggested on packet but less than half has emerged ,have kept watering through the dry spells .Have sown two more rows different method right or wrong scraped drill out with back of hoe sowed seed gently watered in and left, three quarters of the rows germinated is there a better way so I can get a full row germinated many thanks.

Livinhope

Re: carrot sowing
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 17:09 »
I don't know whether there is a special way, other than how you sowed your carrots but I had the same germination problems, not only with carrots but also beetroot, radishes and peas.  I can only think that the ground was very cold and perhaps a bit colder in certain places in the row (a bit more exposed) because over the past couple of weeks they have all come through and almost caught up.  So I would just sit back and wait.

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 17:13 »
Hi acwid, tell us about your soil and the location, that may help with the advice. I get about 75% germination for mine - they are sown in boxes of spent compost. This year, I have suffered with attacks from pidgeons, which pull up the seedlings as they show  :ohmy: - everything is now netted.
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

diggerjoe

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 17:14 »
sowed several rows carrots not one has come up :mad: :mad: never been able to grow them - trying one last time this weekend in tubs then I shan't bother again and use the space  for something else. But then S*ds law will happens they will all show themselves when I ve planted somthing else :nowink:

goodegg

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 17:26 »
well planted carrots 2/4/10 in raised bed  and some only come up in the last week never known anything like it so begining last week planted anoyher raised bed carrots pratically all showing now i have two raised beds full of carrots i dont know whats going on can only blame weather

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 17:29 »
I have found carrot germination incredibly slow this year.  They're all (mostly) growing now but some were really really slow to start.  I've sown a few different varieties, so I'll see which turns out most successful!
Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

Ivah

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 17:35 »
Freshly germinated Carrots are slug fodder, how often are you checking? I have seen a full row one evening be non-existent the next morning so don't automatically blame bad  germination.
'Nullius in verba' - 'Take nobody's word for it'

Salmo

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 17:47 »
Carrots seem very prone to dry seedbeds. My method when the seedbed is dry, I use this for other seeds also, is as follows

- draw out a V shaped drill with a stick or small hoe
 - take the rose off the watering can and water the bottom of the drill so that it is wet.
 - wait a few minutes and sprinkle the seed along the wet drill
 - pull the dry soil over the seed
 - with the back of a rake tamp down the soil along the row so that the seed has good contact with the soil
 - do not water any more for two or three days.

acwid

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 18:13 »
Many thanks folks from what I can gather carrots are a bit temperamental ,out of interest the   first carrot variety was Nigel a B and Q job lot, 2nd row early nantes 3rd row autumn king soil type light loam ,red sand about 2 feet down.

sarahsdream

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 22:21 »
I am actually really pleased as only a few have grown!

Tho I did start them of in seed trays and then repotted them when tall enough into the ground, they are all looking good. Whether they will turn into carrots is another matter, lol!

Ive done short nantes and just ideal variety.
Sarah :-)

Paul Plots

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 22:50 »
Freshly germinated Carrots are slug fodder, how often are you checking? I have seen a full row one evening be non-existent the next morning so don't automatically blame bad  germination.

Slugs = vanishing act for carrots

Also - try not to cover too deeply

Fingers crossed works too  ::)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 02:40 »
I'm with Learner dont sow them too deep.

I grow them in well raised buckets, now on my 3rd sowing but starting to eat the 1st thinnings a size off my small finger. Carrots from now till end off september i hope!!!!!!!!!

Livinhope

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 13:14 »
Last year we sent for some of the potatoes, and bags to grow them in, on offer in a newspaper.  Total waste of time and money.  This year I have planted carrot seed (as well as on the allotment) in one of these bags and they're doing well.  I'm now going to try parsnips in another bag.  It does occur to me that the carrots will be above the domain of the carrot fly.  Hopefully :tongue2:

Ivah

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 13:25 »
I don't sow in drills. Well prepare the bed then extra prepare a 6" wide strip, thinly sow on that then lightly cover with old potting compost and protect with the new organic slug pellets.

Paul Plots

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2010, 00:55 »
I always sow in shallow drills each end of which is a small peg/marker/stake.
Between the markers I have a line of string to mark the exact position of the drill. Any weed that attempts to send up a green shoot is sliced with the hoe so by the time the carrots are beginning to show their true leaves I have very few weeds to bother with.

By hand weeding the row of carrots at this stage I achieve completely weed-free rows of carrots.

It may sound fussy but it saves so much time in the long run and I have carrots that grow without the competion of weeds  ;)

xx
Sowing carrot seed already?

Started by juvenal on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 26, 2016, 09:39
by jaydig
question
Sowing Beetroot and Carrot together ?

Started by galen on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 13, 2009, 08:51
by Kristen
xx
Carrot sowing idea

Started by cjskts on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post January 10, 2011, 22:58
by peapod
xx
Carrot fly planting now avoids carrot fly?

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 07, 2019, 06:52
by Pescador

Page created in 0.452 seconds with 31 queries.