Wet manure & ants & Courgettes

• 4 Replies

skywalker

• Experienced Member
Wet manure & ants & Courgettes
« on: May 22, 2010, 15:04 »
I have just collected about a dozen bags of apparently rotted horse manure. It has been bagged up in plastic sacks (rubble / dog food type) and left. It doesnt smell particularly which I believe is a good sign but it is very wet as the plasic bags have obviously held any rain etc. It now has the consistancy of very wet soil. I have dumped it in the garden for a closer inspection and so that it can dry out. As I emptied one of the bags I noticed it was full of ants. (oh my?) My intention was to dig this in cover with a bit of compost and grow my pumpkins and courgettes in but does this sound like a good idea. I havent used horse manure much before and dont know much about it? And what about the ants?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 21:01 by skywalker »
The force is strong in this one!
(As Organic as possible)

skywalker

• Experienced Member
Re: Wet manure & ants!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 15:25 »
Quick update. Just dumped another of the bags on and it was much lighter, clumpier and smellier where as the majority of it 90% it much darker free of clumps and peatier if this helps?. The fresher looking stuff is going in the compost bin.  ::)

whippersnapper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 17:50 »
Sounds like you're doing the right thing. The ants should disperse once disturbed so no worries about them.

If the manure is strong smelling, perhaps some evidence still of the bedding (straw) then it may be too fresh but the darker, less smelly stuff will be fine to use straight off.

skywalker

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 21:00 »
Thanks. I am going to try growing some courgettes in tubs. The tubs are huge (about 16" diameter and around the same depth). I have filled 50% manure in the bottom and the top 50% is a mix of homemade compost and top soil. When they are ready to go out (hopefully quite soon) I was planning to mix a bit of John Innes number 2 into the area where I transplant. Have I got this right?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 21:01 »
Sounds OK  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
my manure heap is overun with ants...

Started by rachelsco on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 16, 2012, 12:01
by MyAchingBack
xx
Manure or mushroom compost for courgettes

Started by Beetroot Queen on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 18, 2014, 18:18
by Beetroot Queen
xx
Courgettes and ridge cucumber - bumper manure haul

Started by fibilou on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 25, 2008, 18:57
by gobs
xx
Chicken Manure Pellets vs DIY Store Manure

Started by RookieJim on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 20, 2014, 14:01
by Hampshire Hog

Page created in 3.968 seconds with 28 queries.