an allotment for fruit

• 8 Replies

hermon

an allotment for fruit
« on: July 05, 2006, 18:15 »
i've madly taken on half of another plot just for fruit i was told the council don't like this and you must grow a mix of veg and fruit is this just my council or have others found this?
i will be growing raspberries, red/black currents, strawberrys (i already have 5 blueberry bushes in pots on my patio!)any other suggestons of soft fruit would be gladly taken on board basically any expensive fruit to buy i want to grow. :D

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
an allotment for fruit
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 22:28 »
Sounds like bunkum to me - some allotments prohibit full size fruit trees for obvious reasons but I've not heard of any prohibiting of currants etc.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
an allotment for fruit
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 23:13 »
The guy who previously had the plot we have has one plot that is just all fruit trees and a few other soft fruit bushes. We have a height limit on trees but it shouldn't be a problem for fruit bushes and as long as you properly trim your fruit trees. You should keep fruit trees reasonably small, anyway, as they are more productive and less prone to pests and disease when neatly trimmed.
wistfully hoping to one day be mostly organic gardener in North London.

Jake

• Rockers
an allotment for fruit
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 14:32 »
I wonder if you're allowed to keep bees there. You'd get some lovely honey from fruit bush flowers.
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is

hermon

an allotment for fruit
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 15:24 »
knowing my council i doubt it also the other allotmeny keepers wouldn't be (bee!!) to happy about a swarm of honey bees pestering them all the time! i've herd you need to kill the quenn after each summer i couldn't do that :cry:

hermon

an allotment for fruit
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2006, 15:26 »
i have terrible typing so applogies of spelling i'm at work trying to do this quickly!! :wink:

Jake

• Rockers
an allotment for fruit
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2006, 15:47 »
Quote from: "hermon"
knowing my council i doubt it also the other allotmeny keepers wouldn't be (bee!!) to happy about a swarm of honey bees pestering them all the time! i've herd you need to kill the quenn after each summer i couldn't do that :cry:

I know what you mean, I don't think there's a rule against it at our place but the other allontment holders would get all grumpy. I don't understand that, I like bees pollinating my stuff.

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
an allotment for fruit
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2006, 17:13 »
That's funny, when I went to the Portreath Bee Centre it sounded like you had to take very very good care of your bees year round, no killing of the queen. Our allotment rules say bees can be kept on the site but only if they are well-kept. We have some "managed wasteland" at the bottom of the site that could probably be set up for beekeeping but it looked like a lot of hard work to keep a hive going and you'd have to keep them well insulated, not humid and wellfed in the winter.

Oliver

Allotments: a plotholders guide
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2006, 19:23 »
Quote from: "john"
Sounds like bunkum to me - some allotments prohibit full size fruit trees for obvious reasons but I've not heard of any prohibiting of currants etc.
Me neither.
Take a look at this guide - it may be a help.  Some Councils (authorities) don't allow certain things for whatever reason.  If it seems unreasonable to you, get together with your fellow plotholders to discuss the matter. A lot of hearsay also goes on. (Interesting, but sometimes quite misleading).
Then, when you have a factual coherent story together, meet with the authority and try to sort out the matter. Be sure of your facts.  Emotions often run high where allotments are concerned - they help to illustrate the passion we all feel about toiling on the land, but they seldom win the day!  Good luck.

Allotments: A plotholders guide

Our Council 'prohibits' pigs and roosters (but when a plotholder introduced a pair of crowing roosters no one complained so nothing was done). One zealous councillor tried to sell our plots but got short shrift - she made some fundamental mistakes. We had the facts. We won. Another zealous councillor tried to introduce new 'rules'. He went about it the wrong way, ruffled too many feathers and resigned. The agreement was slightly amended, largely to improve the English and everyone is happy.
Keep the plot cultivated, that's the best way to ensure its future.

xx
Favourite allotment fruit

Started by Cleo on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 28, 2008, 17:15
by Cleo
xx
Growing only fruit on an allotment

Started by trogg on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post January 26, 2011, 12:28
by TerryB
xx
Soft fruit for allotment

Started by wbmkk on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 26, 2016, 23:58
by Trikidiki
xx
An allotment for fruit trees / bushes

Started by Robert_S on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 22, 2011, 18:15
by madcat

Page created in 1.038 seconds with 36 queries.