I've just acquired a plot and need some help!

• 3 Replies

mrsparsnip

« on: June 28, 2006, 10:27 »
Hello All!

Firstly I'd like to say what a great site this is!  It's great to be able to see what other people are up to.

I've just acquired a plot!  I'm very excited about it, although it has been left unloved for the past few years, so there is certainly a lot of work to be done.

I've already been down and built a compost bin (a double one) and started the long task of strimming all around the outside of my plot as the one thing the parish council are strict on is keeping pathways clear.  there are lots of nettles and plenty of plants left to self seed.  The ground is as dry as a bone and rock hard, so I was thinking of strimming it all back and putting down the weed sheets until autum (when I will add manure)?  is that a good idea?  should it be longer?

do I need to test the soil with a kit?  i plan to dig a hole and see what the drainage is like.
I want to re-structure the site as it's not very well laid out. and I want to add a fruit cage and i've read that raspberries need shade and it's best to set up the cage first?

sorry to ramble on, I am new to all this.  I have grown a few bits at home but not really veg and fruit, other than the odd pot of strawberries.  I am so excited it's silly!

I'm off on holiday this week too and really don't want to leave my plot!
'what ever I am, where ever I am, this is me' - Hannah Hauxwell

noshed

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 10:44 »
Get a couple of books to read on holiday - Grow Your Own Vegetables by Joy Larcom is good.
Measure your plot. Find out where north is.
Make a plan while you're on holiday. Then you'll be all set when you get back.
If you've got fresh manure, just pile it up and let it rot for a few months.
Good luck
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

hermon

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2006, 07:06 »
well done!
the soil you can usually tell is there chalk in it? dig a small hole fill it with water and see how long it takes to drain, if its very fine adding manure will help keep in moisture for next year although some crops like fine sandy soil such as carrots i think, but as you have to crop rotate at some point all veg would be grown in manure?  or could you plant a green manure? didn't know about the shade for raspberries. is that all or just some type?

fishwife

New plot
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 19:00 »
Congrats on your very first plot! Am only a beginner myself, but love every minute of being there (after the initial weeping at how high the weeds have grown!!) If you want a good magasine to get you started try Kitchen Garden magasine. It's like a bible to veg growers. Have fun planning what to grow.

xx
my plot - new growers plot thanks to advice from you all

Started by pookey on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 22, 2007, 19:23
by brucesgirl
xx
My First Plot - Plot 21 is confirmed

Started by SCassin on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post September 12, 2013, 15:04
by Yorkie
xx
Getting the most from my plot

Started by centro on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 24, 2008, 16:27
by Bombers
xx
Got the plot.

Started by hayles62 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post January 06, 2007, 14:34
by mercury

Page created in 0.454 seconds with 36 queries.