When do I Stop Butterut Squash

• 7 Replies

Ian_P

• Experienced Member
« on: June 30, 2006, 18:45 »
Last year I grew two butternut squash plants, and got ranging huge plants maybe 8-10 feet across and just two fruit. I was told I should have stopped them so they would set fruit.

This year I have griown the same, but how do I know when to stop them, when they reach ??? inches, or when x numbers of flowers arrive.

Last year the first flowers all seemed to be male and the later ones female, but again that could be because I let them take over.

Thanks
Ian

Feeding the mini-beasts of Hampshire

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 23:24 »
I'd not heard this about stopping them but it sounds sensible. I didn't stop mine last year and had about 2 or 3 per plant - maybe I could have had more.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Beanzie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 23:39 »
I'm growing them this year for the first time, however, I'll certainly follow the advice given.

Thanks

Beanzie
Ah well ! There is always next year !

milkman

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2006, 10:43 »
I've never 'stopped' my squash plants, I just let them rampage around.  I would consider two or three good size squashes per plant to be a good harvest.
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

Oliver

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2006, 13:10 »
Quote from: "milkman"
I've never 'stopped' my squash plants, I just let them rampage around.  I would consider two or three good size squashes per plant to be a good harvest.

She says DITTO. Sometimes the plant produces lots of male flowers before the females come along, so if you stop the plant before you have any females you'll get no fruits! unless the plant makes some new shoots which it probably will.
For example, one cucumber plant had 4 female fruits straight off and they have all set and made cucumbers. Another plant has only made male flowes so far! The other two have a mixture. So, let them all rampage away - they take up lots of room anyway and keep the weeds down. AND frogs usually live under the nice cool moist canopy and probably eat baby slugs and grubs.
Keep the plot cultivated, that's the best way to ensure its future.

Ali

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2006, 22:42 »
I've been meaning to ask about this for a while. My butternut squashes keep making flowers which then fall off and do nothing. My pumpkin on he other hand made nice little fruits straight away, Why is this? Is it because the squashes make male flowers like my courgettes, or should I be pollinating them or something? And how do I 'stop' them if I wanted to? Help!

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2006, 23:16 »
I've heard that even if pumpkins make little pumpkins, some will fall off while still "babies". Plants seem to be self-limiting in some ways.
My pumpkin plants have only had one male flower so far as I could tell. It's not a very big vine, though, no more than 18inches to 2feet long.
wistfully hoping to one day be mostly organic gardener in North London.

Oliver

Squashes / pumpkins
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2006, 20:07 »
You are quite right, sometimes the little chapesses just fall off for no apparent reason. She just lets them get on with it. Some plants make all male flowers for ages then start making female flowers as well and you may end up with two or more fruits on a stem. If its quite late in the season she stops the plant (breaks it off 2 leaves beyond the last fruit) so the others will get bigger. If its early, like now, she leaves them to do what squashes do.
It sometimes helps to grow 2 or 3 of the same kind together so the bees can use the male flowers to pollinate female flowers on the other plants.
They may also cross pollinate, but you will only know THAT is you save seed and hope to raise the same thing next year!

xx
Can I “stop” my butternut squash?

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post September 02, 2020, 13:43
by missmoneypenny
xx
Winter Squash - stop more coming now?

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 24, 2010, 21:12
by JohnB47
clip
Butternut Squash & Kabocha Squash - when are they ready?

Started by Floody on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 17, 2014, 11:42
by Totty
xx
Somebody stop me

Started by purplebean on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post January 11, 2009, 01:04
by CarlC

Page created in 0.644 seconds with 30 queries.