Winter Squash - stop more coming now?

• 5 Replies

JohnB47

Winter Squash - stop more coming now?
« on: August 24, 2010, 18:01 »
Hi.

I have Early Butternut and Crown Prince growing. The Crown Prince seem to have realised that producing more fruit is probably not a good idea and have stopped producing flowers.

However one of the Butternuts is still flowering and has one big fruit and four small ones. Should I do something about that - i.e. cut off the growing tips and flowers to let the fruit reach maturity?

Two other Butternuts are still flowering but haven't produced any fruit - my fault, I moved them. :( Is it too late for them now, even if they produce anything?

Finally, how do I know when to remove the fruit and store them? The Crown Prince look pretty mature to me now but the butternuts look pretty young.

Ta.

MoreWhisky

Re: Winter Squash - stop more coming now?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 18:08 »
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

JohnB47

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 18:17 »
Thanks MoreWhisky.

A fair range of opinions there as regards when to pick - I think I'll let them stay on the vine for as long as possible. But there was no mention about when to stop more fruit producing.

Anyone else want to chip in?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 18:39 »
I would suggest stopping plants producing new fruits from the end of August, round here. I know you are a bit further south than me, but tbh, unless you are planning to eat them as immature squashes like courgettes, they probably won't ripen fully --- unless you can cloche them of course in about a month?
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 19:36 »
Realistically, I can't see more new squash ripening in the UK, not with your generally cooler climate. I'd tip pinch all the ends now and nip off any fruit just starting so the rest can ripen better.

They're ripe when you feel they have the right colour and the plant generally starts to die back. I leave mine on as long as I can to finish up but before any frosts are predicted. I wipe mine down with a damp cloth, let dry fully, then store them in my basement storage area on a shelf in a single layer. Air flow is important to avid rotting.
If this doesn't work for you, then peel, quarter and freeze the squash, or clean and cook it and store in lidded containers in the freezer. Do label them carefully so you know what that mess is in a few months.  ;)

JohnB47

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 21:12 »
Thanks folks. Lots of useful info.

I think I'll do as Trillium says - pinch and nip.

Cheers all

xx
Can I “stop” my butternut squash?

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post September 02, 2020, 13:43
by missmoneypenny
xx
When do I Stop Butterut Squash

Started by Ian_P on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 06, 2006, 20:07
by Oliver
xx
Winter Squash

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post July 29, 2010, 05:08
by Paul Plots
xx
Winter Squash

Started by Marcus10 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 10, 2012, 21:39
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.633 seconds with 37 queries.