euthanizing goslings humanely

• 18 Replies

Dove-Cote

euthanizing goslings humanely
« on: April 28, 2010, 23:37 »
I need to know how to euthanize a gosling humanely. This gosling was reared in an incubator & is just not thriving.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks-
Dove-Cote

Nails

• Experienced Member
    • www.justgiving.com/Donna-Moon
Re: euthanizing goslings humanely
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 12:22 »
How old is the gosling? If it is a couple of days to 2 weeks, you will be able to pull its neck. Other way is if you have an air rifle/pistol that will do the job also.
Dont count ya chickens till they hatch!!!!!

Dove-Cote

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 13:49 »
It's only a few days old.

Maybe I should have said, easier on me to do and the gosling, at the same time.
I'm a big baby and I look at it like a pet.

poppies

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 14:03 »
Hi where are you,  there may be someone on here who lives close and will do it for you, please dont attempt to do it yourself if you are unsure what to do, as you may not do it properly and cause it suffering, oh does ours as I just cant do it, what about a vet although you would have to pay,

Nails

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 14:03 »
If its a few days old, just pull its neck, easy for me to say i know, but will be quick and over and done with, have you no one that can do it for you? I spoke to a friend about it today, she said do it sooner rather than later, as you will get even more attached , which is what she did and now has a goose running that has funny feet, that she can't breed from! And still can't bring herself to kill. Good luck.

Dove-Cote

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 15:21 »
I'm in the USA. All the vets in my area are costly! Just to walk in is $75, then euthanizing is another $25 to $50.

I raise all kinds of breeds of birds & show them. My fancy pigeons I'm ok with, but there's just something about babies & bigger birds I can't seem to do it. I know the bigger birds like chickens & geese is I'm afraid I won't do it quick enough. As for babies, well they're babies! I'm a mommy & than some!

Give me your opinions, I read on another site to put the young one in a bag & stick it in the freezer. They say they get cold, but just go to sleep faster than they feel pain. What do you think?

8doubles

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 15:34 »
Do you have any friends that hunt or fish , they will be used to dispatching game (normally with a blow to the base of the skull ) and will, i am sure, do it for you.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 16:06 »
When I have to cull sickly chicks.  Although I have a wall mounted dispatcher, I often just get their neck over a thin bit of wood like a shelf and press down on the neck with my thumb.  It very quickly breaks the neck.

I wouldn't like the idea of putting the poor little thing in the freezer!

Nails

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 16:16 »
I agree Grannie, doesn't sound very humane does it??? Suffocating and then freezing, Nope don't go there with that one Dove Cote

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 16:42 »
It's horrible when they are babies, isn't it? I had a duckling that needed to be culled last year and I poured 2 gin and tonics, drank the first then decapitated it with a very sharp kitchen knife on a chopping block. At that age they are mainly cartilage so it is physically easy. I then drank the second G and T and had a little cry but knew that I had done the right thing for it.

It's never going to be nice but sadly part of keeping and raising animals. It is a responsibility that we have to accept.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Nails

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 16:51 »
Kate you are braver than me, even with a couple of vodka's i still wouldn't be able to do it, but i have the OH that will do it, even though he hates doing it.

TeaPots

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 20:30 »
I am too cowardly too, but i HAD to relieve the suffering of a chick once, and felt it wasnt fair to leave it til OH came home, so i put it in a bag, then dropped a big garden slab on it. It crushed it completely and quickly, and there was none of the kicking or noises etc cos the slab was loud as it dropped. Poor OH had to sort it when he got home, but just lifted slab and put the bag on the bonfire.

Nails

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 20:59 »
Teapots, i don't think i could even do that you are so brave, i am lucky that if things like that need doing and the OH isn't about i have a son in law i can ring.

raeburg

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 21:27 »
I was a coward and took it to the vet - cost of £6.50

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2010, 22:12 »
if very young then I do like Grannie and crush the neck over something like a sharp edge (metal fence, gate etc, otherwise if older then I have to use an axe as I am too short and not physically strong enough to neck a bird. Whichever method you decide make it as quick as possible and then go and have a good cry  :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
euthanizing old hens

Started by Amy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post August 10, 2007, 22:01
by richyrich7
xx
How to slaughter turkeys humanely?

Started by hillfooter on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post December 14, 2011, 15:18
by GrannieAnnie
xx
goslings

Started by dawn37 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 29, 2010, 10:02
by Lottieluv
xx
i got my goslings !!!

Started by R66VEY on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post May 20, 2008, 16:33
by Vember

Page created in 0.444 seconds with 29 queries.