Any ideas on cleaning poo from feathers

• 12 Replies

power_of_p3

Any ideas on cleaning poo from feathers
« on: April 29, 2010, 16:53 »
how I can clean matted poop from one of my chickens vents.

Let me explain, we got three new chickens a few weeks ago, no over a month ago, and where they had been kept before wasn't the most erm hygienic of places.  The hen is over two years old and so quite developed with good full lengthy vent feathers and where she was earlier in her life was very wet, with no litter below the roost bars and I would say it had been a looonnggg time since below the bars had been cleaned.  So due to that she is very matted with big globs of hard poop stuck.  I can't imagine this is doing her much harm but I don't suppose it's any good for her either.

I was hoping that when she came to our ground where it is drier that she may bath properly and it'll start to sloth off, some of it is...the very end bits where they all get it and it comes straight off wi a good bath.  

So, my question is simple, is there anyway I can help her with it?  Or, will it come off in moult later in the year?  Some of it is quite high up, almost against her skin.

Thanks BB ~~jo~~
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 17:56 by Ice »

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
Re: Any ideas on...
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 17:04 »
you could try and stand her in a tub of warm water for a bit (if she will stand) and let the water soften it all and then you could gently pull the poo bits off, but its whether she will let you do it.   I wouldnt leave them on her though, flies might be attracted to her vent area, the clumps towards the tips of her feathers i surpose you could cut off if your allowed to do that.   nickyx
4 girlies,  Nessa, Pamela, Stacey and Tina

power_of_p3

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 17:15 »
Hi Nicky - I did try that when we first got them cause I didn't want to track anything from his pen into mine.  But as they were effectivley commercial birds they are very difficult to handle, although I can atleast pick them up now with only a little bit of fuss.  as far a the cutting them goes I am trying to avoid that at all costs, I can only assume that much like cats when you cut their claws, that if you cut too close it would make them either bleed out or be more susceptable to an infection.  I don't know whether that would be true or not but like I say, a little wary of cutting things...I won't even clip there wings even tho they're flighty blighters lol.

BB ~~jo~~

Flowerpower136

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 17:19 »
Think the only thing you can do is hold her in warm water.  You might be surprised, they find it very relaxing.

I've had to do it for egg bound Nell, and she nearly fell asleep!

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 17:27 »
Had to DAG one of my hens the other day. I put her on her back on a table and just gave the cacky feathers a squeeze (latex gloved) and the poop just crumbled off.

The hen did not get upset at all , suprisingly. :)

power_of_p3

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 17:55 »
hi doubles n flower,

Well, I will certainly give both the on back crumbling and water a go,  sounds like it worked for you guys  :) I'll try the crumble first then put her in water I think, piddling it down here at the mo so tomorrow it is...hope she doesn't mind too much ;)

Thanks guys BB ~~jo~~

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Any ideas on cleaning poo from feathers
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 18:10 »
I find it's quite easy to wash of with some warm water with a little baby shampoo in.  I just wet the dirty area with a cloth dipped in the solution.  It washes of quite quickly :)

power_of_p3

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 19:12 »
Hi Sally - Would adult shampoo be ok too? No babies here lol  I take it the chemicals in them are of no harm once they start preening and pulling bits off themselves?

BB ~~jo~~

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 19:14 »
It would be fine, even a bit of washing up liquid would be OK

Just add a bit to the water as you would for washing up.

power_of_p3

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 19:20 »
Ah k :) thank you

BB ~~jo~~

redmolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 20:28 »
I had a pooey one the other day.....put her in a nice warm bath......the noise and fuss soon seems to stop once they are in there.....she stayed in quite a while without being pinned down!!  :) :)

alibean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 20:41 »
Definately would recommend the warm bath.  Husband held Florence (who is getting on a bit and had a mucky back end following worming),  whilst I gently wiped with a spongie wash-up (the soft side).  She has perked up a treat and certainly didn't seem to object to the attention.

I think it is a two 'man' job though!

newChickenMummy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 22:06 »
Surprisingly they seem to like a nice bath, a little bit of olive oil rubbed into the feathers can also help to loosen some of the poo.

xx
cleaning up poo!

Started by neenyneen on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 27, 2011, 12:44
by coco
xx
cleaning

Started by MRS PEPPER POT on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 03, 2010, 08:28
by ehs284
xx
Cleaning out quail

Started by Jamesquail on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 23, 2023, 21:19
by New shoot
xx
Cleaning eggs

Started by mummychick on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 24, 2011, 02:18
by hillfooter

Page created in 0.256 seconds with 35 queries.