More softies for Bunty

• 2 Replies

compostqueen

More softies for Bunty
« on: April 22, 2010, 13:45 »
This is Bunty my two year old hen who has been laying softies for a week or so. Yesterday she laid a shell-less egg in front of me and today she has laid another one in the nesting box and then later a bit more emerged outside in the run.  

She seems absolutely fine, well and happy. Do you think it's just the end of her egg laying career?  She has everything she needs as regards layers, grit, greens, grass, clean water, occasional top up limestone flour when I refill her pot.  

As she seems so well in herself I'm not unduly concerned but I'd hate to miss something. Her eggs have always been huge and very often wrinkled and misshapen so I think perhaps she's due to stop laying. She is 2 years and 3 months old and I love her to bits  :D
bunty.jpg

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: More softies for Bunty
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 14:10 »
You could be right CQ, some hens do come to the end of their laying lives around 2 (especially hybrids that are designed to lay plenty so early on). Just keep an eye on her that one doesn't break inside her and wish her a long and happy retirement  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

compostqueen

Re: More softies for Bunty
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 14:13 »
Egg laying problems are a worry since my I lost my favourite little hen this year.  Bunty is a big girl though and hopefully she won't have similar problems.  Whether physical size is a factor though I don't know. 

xx
RIP BUNTY - ONE HEN LEFT!

Started by compostqueen on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 28, 2011, 09:54
by compostqueen
xx
Just for the softies amongst you

Started by Bodger on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post June 23, 2008, 21:07
by poultrygeist
xx
New regime for softies?

Started by Maccbean on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 04, 2010, 09:26
by Maccbean
xx
Shell Less - Softies!

Started by MartF on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 20, 2015, 08:41
by Sassy

Page created in 0.249 seconds with 29 queries.