RIP BUNTY - ONE HEN LEFT!

• 5 Replies

compostqueen

RIP BUNTY - ONE HEN LEFT!
« on: April 27, 2011, 15:34 »
I had to have my girl put to sleep today as she was very ill.  She could hardly stand this morning but she ate some breadcrumbs from my hand.  She allowed me to cuddle her for a while. I phoned the vet and had to wait til 2.00 pm to see someone so I had to keep an eye on her, watching for any sign of improvement. There was none and the vet agreed she was too poorly to survive. He said she had an abdominal mass (which was not an egg) She was 3.5 years old, had a wonderful life with me, laid loads of eggs and was generally a well girl.  She was the most gentle of my hens and I shall miss her very much

I'm now left with one hen, who is the most feisty girl and I'm wondering now what to do for the best, as she is so bossy

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: RIP BUNTY - ONE HEN LEFT!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 17:06 »
Sorry to hear your sad news about Bunty.

If you are thinking of replacement you could get two more and that might put your fiesty girl in her place.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

jinty1911

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 18:50 »
I am so sorry to hear you bad news about Bunty but you know you can't keep 1 chook by herself. So you will have to get at least 2 more.  ;) 

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 19:23 »
I am so terribly sorry for your loss.  I know it is heart-breaking.  Having just one hen is a very lonely existence for her, so perhaps consider getting at least two more hens if you can. 
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 21:35 »
Sorry to hear your news Compostqueen  :(  Sounds like Bunty had an idylic chicken life but it was her time to go.

I'm sure your feisty girl will sort it out with any newcomers.  It usually sounds worse than it really is and is over pretty soon.  Have you integrated new girls before? 

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 09:54 »
I've never integrated new girls as these were my first three.  I can't leave her on her own but I've not yet decided whether to let her go to my friend who has loads of hens  :(

xx
More softies for Bunty

Started by compostqueen on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 22, 2010, 14:13
by compostqueen
xx
One down six left

Started by bantam novice on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 05, 2011, 17:22
by Helenaj
xx
don't wanna be left out.....

Started by agapanthus on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post June 17, 2008, 23:04
by agapanthus
xx
5 days left

Started by jonandjen16 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 05, 2008, 20:41
by Jellyhead

Page created in 0.238 seconds with 38 queries.