Thinking of keeping hens?

• 12 Replies

Manlea1

• Experienced Member
Thinking of keeping hens?
« on: April 21, 2010, 10:12 »
Before i even contemplate getting some hens i want to read up on what to do properly  ;) is there any good books worth reading for a total newbie?  ???
Wont be this year as i want to do it properly if at all if you know what i mean  :wacko:

Lee

victoria_plum

• Experienced Member
Re: Thinking of keeping hens?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 10:15 »
Me too - hopefully next year... :)

Emma S

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 10:29 »
If either of you are near Wiltshire why not have a word with these guys? They run a fantastic one day course, really hands on, where you get to know everything you need about feeding, health, housing etc. They have different breeds and lots of different set ups you can compare. You also get to handle the birds too. I can recommend it. Good food too!

www.gertsfarm.com

e

victoria_plum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 11:19 »
BRILLIANT Emma S - thank you!!!!!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 11:33 »
There are lots of books but a good one to start with is Katie Thears starting with chickens. Read as much as you can, find out if there are any other chicken keepers near you to visit them, omlett also do beginners courses so may be worth going on one of those (you don't need to own an eglu to go on them). Ask as many questions that you want before you get your hens this way you will be as prepared as possible  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

Manlea1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 15:07 »
That day course looks a fab idea and ill keep a eye out for that book  :) thanks peeps  :D

Flowerpower136

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 15:20 »
I've lost track of all my chicken books, I seem to have hundreds of them, I went on Amazon and bought loads of them 2nd hand.

My fav ever is 'Keeping Chickens' by Jeremy Hobson and Celia Lewis.  It's a really lovely book to read with fantastic photographs and loads of good practical information.

Also I went on one of the 'Omlette' courses.  Go to their website, and put in your post code and it will list any courses near you.  The courses and costs are all different because they are run by individual chicken owners.  Ours was great, nice morning with a small group of similar people.  Talking about chickens, holding chickens, being introduced to a chicken's bottom - v. important as you will discover as chickens bottoms and all that comes out of them do have a tendency to take over your life!    Then, after that trauma we got to eat egg sandwiches and cake.  Twas lovely, and no hard sell re Omlette products.

And keep reading these posts, you learn loads that way.

joyfull

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 15:40 »
flowerpower you sound just like me  :lol: I also have that book amongst all my others (ranging from the very early 1920's to modern ones). I went on the omlet course knowing that I was getting a wooden coup so was pleased about no hard sell - I do now have one (as well as 7 wooden coups) and it is wonderfull as a broody coup  :D.
Manlea if ever you venture down to south lincolnshire you would be more than welcome to pop in and see my girls - they are all different sizes, shapes and colours  :D

Sassy

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 09:08 »
I agree with joyfull. Katie Thears book is about £8 and an easy read. Some of the other books out there are tomes and you might find them confusing to start with. Good luck :) :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Manlea1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 09:19 »
flowerpower you sound just like me  :lol: I also have that book amongst all my others (ranging from the very early 1920's to modern ones). I went on the omlet course knowing that I was getting a wooden coup so was pleased about no hard sell - I do now have one (as well as 7 wooden coups) and it is wonderfull as a broody coup  :D.
Manlea if ever you venture down to south lincolnshire you would be more than welcome to pop in and see my girls - they are all different sizes, shapes and colours  :D

Where abouts in lincolnshire are you please? im in grimsby,feel free to pm me if you prefer  :)

Lee+Mandy

joyfull

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 09:36 »
Hi I am about 10 miles from Boston and Spalding (Grannie Annie is about 3 miles down the road from me as well). If you want to visit us then let me know and we can arrange something  :D

Jeanette

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2010, 11:38 »
When you get your chickens please be aware they are very adictive :)

bertha

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2010, 22:22 »
I agree, they are addictive, I find myself rushing back from work to check how my girls are and how many eggs there are. I have to say my husband was none too keen with my new venture, then I found him putting up our sun umbrella for them as he was worried they might get wet during the day!!! (Despite the fact they had plenty of shelter). This just touched me how they really do get under your skin!

Good luck when you do get them!

xx
Thinking about keeping ducks rather than chickens

Started by Snoop on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post September 24, 2015, 10:33
by Snoop
xx
Thinking about keeping ducks and chickens!

Started by fallen angel on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post October 18, 2008, 18:58
by poultrygeist
xx
Thinking of keeping chickens... advice sought

Started by Porffor on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post May 18, 2008, 22:29
by peggyprice
xx
Novice Here...Thinking of getting Ex-Battery Hens

Started by Timbo47 on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post July 01, 2009, 22:16
by ctb

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 29 queries.