Thinking about keeping ducks rather than chickens

• 12 Replies

Snoop

Thinking about keeping ducks rather than chickens
« on: September 19, 2015, 16:39 »
We've had chickens for about seven years now and I'm thinking that maybe I'd like to try ducks instead. Our three chickens are getting on in years and as one of them brought in mycoplasma when we bought her a few years back, I'm afraid it's an all 'out policy' before we get more. So it would be possible to change over completely to ducks instead. I'd be keeping them for both meat and eggs.

Has anyone got any views?

I know there are certain differences (sleeping arrangements and water requirements) but are there any advantages/disadvantages to ducks in comparison with chickens?

Sassy

Re: Thinking about keeping ducks rather than chickens
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 08:38 »
Generally there are fewer nasties that ducks get. Do research their care though because their requirements do differ. Ducks will make more mess and mud than chooks! They must have clean water to swim in. I used the tray off a wheelbarrow and an ELC sandpit base. Do remember you need somewhere suitable to empty it though.  :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Snoop

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 10:23 »
We've been warned about the mess!

I've looked at quite a lot of sites about keeping ducks. One even suggested that used bedding could be put straight out as mulch and that it didn't need to be composted or rotted down first. Do you have a view on that? If that's the case, the duck bath could even be used for watering purposes I suppose.

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 08:14 »
We've been warned about the mess!

I've looked at quite a lot of sites about keeping ducks. One even suggested that used bedding could be put straight out as mulch and that it didn't need to be composted or rotted down first. Do you have a view on that? If that's the case, the duck bath could even be used for watering purposes I suppose.

I don't know about the duck poo not needing to be rotted down before use but any bedding would need to be or it will rob the soil of nutrients it needs in order to rot down. :)

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 11:24 »
We had ducks this year, but just for eggs. They were rescued really but all four girls laid just about every day from Feb to August, only one laying now. We are divided about them, OH prefers them to chickens, I don't like the mess or the eggs, though they make great cakes and custard, OH likes them but just cracking them puts me off, little white which is very gloopy. But they sell really well and have covered their costs. We had one duckling which we sold with two of the girls as two drakes were just too many.

The ducks, chooks and goats all live together by day and in separate sheds at night, the ducks have the bottom of a car top box which we have to empty twice a day as the water gets so hot, something to think about where you are....presuming next year will be more 'normal'. We have a well so no problem with cold water. They also need a regular change of drinking water as even in dusty weather like today they make an awful muddy (hot) mess of it but need water on hand when they eat. They seem to be generally healthy though, even moulting doesn't slow them down.

No idea about the bedding. Our's goes onto the compost heap to be spread over winter. All the birds are let onto the veggie patch during winter, ducks getting really muddy and coming back for regular baths, whatever the weather, though you won't be as cold as us.

Snoop

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 12:39 »
Thanks guys.

Tosca, apparently duck eggs are richer in omega-3 plus the white has less water in it than chicken eggs, hence the gloopiness I guess.

I'm not that bothered about the mess, to be honest. We have lots of room for them to occupy and trees under which I could put their bath, so they'd get shade and the trees would probably appreciate the extra watering if I don't use the water for other watering purposes. When it rains, there are plenty of natural waterholes that form, so they could have a right good time sploshing about in the mud.

One thing I am keen on is the fact that you can let them loose in the veg patch. Now that I've had to move my veg patch because of the flooding, I've not been able to let the chickens out that much, and I'd much rather they could free range. Trouble is the chickens are a bit destructive - excavating dust baths and eating anything that takes their fancy - whereas ducks apparently are not so bad and are great at devouring slugs and snails, of which we have plenty.

I've read that in addition to a bathing/swimming spot, a bucket is a good idea for them to be able to dunk their heads in but not actually get into.

tosca100

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 14:01 »
Hmmm... I've heard that too. But our ducks stripped everything duck height when they got into the winter brassicas...and they are large ducks! :lol: I think some breeds are less destructive than others but not the ones from the local market! (here, MuscovyxRouen types...but they love water)

Likewise there are some ducks who aren't so keen to bathe. Muscovies and Indian Runners for two, and Khaki Campbells to a lesser extent...if you can get them. :)

Snoop

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2015, 16:17 »
Thanks Tosca. That was very useful. Indian Runners and Khaki Campbells are available here. By the sounds of it, I might need to protect the brassicas then. No bad thing, I guess, as it would keep the butterflies off.

I think this is a goer of an idea. I'll get a book and think about starting up in the spring.

tosca100

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 16:29 »
Good luck with it. Unfortunately pure breds are for real fanciers here so have a premium price. Ordinary smallholders can't afford them.

Sassy

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2015, 08:38 »
My Khakis, and two lot of friends had runners, and they loved swimming. Rarely off the water. I always provided my ducks witk a bucket of water it was for drinking but they do put their heads in it, they need to do this to keep their eyes healthy. This would be vital in the winter when their swimming water freezes over. Also harder to knlock a small bucket of water over! :D

Snoop

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2015, 11:57 »
Sassy, it sounds like you don't keep ducks any more. Was there a particular reason or were they just more trouble than it was worth?

Thanks for the advice, Tosca. I spotted someone selling Indian Runners online for 70 euros. Someone relatively local to me claims to have seven-week old Indian Runner and Khaki Campbell ducklings for between seven and nine euros apiece. I don't imagine they're 'thoroughbreds'!

Sassy

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2015, 08:41 »
Hi Snoop, I no longer have ducks as we got flooded and as they were shut up for the night they drowned, along with my hens and quail. I miss them all dreadfully but have been unable to pluck up the courage to replace them. :(

Snoop

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2015, 10:33 »
Oh, Sassy! I'm so sorry to hear that. You must have been heartbroken.

xx
Thinking about keeping ducks and chickens!

Started by fallen angel on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post October 18, 2008, 18:58
by poultrygeist
xx
Thinking of keeping chickens... advice sought

Started by Porffor on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post May 18, 2008, 22:29
by peggyprice
xx
Keeping chickens and running ducks together?

Started by vicky w on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 16, 2009, 12:23
by Foxy
xx
Advice please on keeping ducks and chickens??

Started by flangey on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 25, 2010, 08:21
by flangey

Page created in 0.713 seconds with 27 queries.