goldline egg production

• 2 Replies

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
goldline egg production
« on: April 16, 2010, 20:30 »
Do you have any experience of goldline hens?

My two are 2 years old and have laid 7 eggs between them since Christmas. Is this normal and will they start laying again? They used to lay an egg every day without fail last year. They are happy and healthy enough, fed on layers pellets as much as they can eat, and earn their living by weeding the garden and disposing of slugs and bugs.

Thanks for any hen stories you may have.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: goldline egg production
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 22:38 »
You usually find the Goldlnes will still lay quite well during their 2nd winter.  Some of mine have just finished their 3rd winter, where they were rather patchy layers. 

But I tend to hear more from the people who have had Babcocks or amberlinks from me.

A chap who came to see us from Derbyshire reckoned the Goldlines don't stand up well to the winter up in Derbyshire and he lost quite a few (not that he'd bought from me though!) over the winter.

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
Re: goldline egg production
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 09:31 »
Thanks for your reply Grannie.

Winter this year has been harder than of late, and to add to that, we live in an area where the housing is old, and there have been a lot of renovations going on, which involves a lot of noise with hammering and machinery, and to make matters worse, next doors have just got 3 dogs which bark all the time.
I often jump when I hear a thud and I have seen the poor hens do the same. They are out in it 24 hours per day. Perhaps that is the reason for the lack of eggs.
They did spend most of their winter in the greenhouse, which kept them out of the wind and was very warm when the sun was out.

xx
Thin Goldline?

Started by SueC on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 24, 2008, 10:02
by Vember
xx
Bovans Nera/Goldline - What age did yours start laying?

Started by Ben_H on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 15, 2011, 09:35
by Ben_H
xx
egg production?

Started by pushrod on The Hen House

22 Replies
Last post January 12, 2009, 20:28
by pushrod
xx
egg production down

Started by greenockian on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 26, 2012, 16:39
by Prod

Page created in 0.445 seconds with 28 queries.