egg production?

• 22 Replies

pushrod

egg production?
« on: January 10, 2009, 23:09 »
I usually find november and december to be pretty barren in terms of egg production, but usually as soon we get past the shortest day things pick up...  not this year though. Is it just my lazy birds or is it the effect of this very cold snap we have been having?
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

mumsy

egg production?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 23:21 »
I must admit mine started laying again on or around the 21st dec.  How old are yours now?   Could be age related, it wasn't that cold around that time, mine are still going strong even in this weather :D

pushrod

egg production?
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 23:35 »
Quote from: "mumsy"
I must admit mine started laying again on or around the 21st dec.  How old are yours now?   Could be age related, it wasn't that cold around that time, mine are still going strong even in this weather :D

Only got half a dozen hens  atm ages between 10 months and 2years. Strangely got some eggs about the 15th of Dec but then both houses stopped. (probably  the moles' fault). They look as if they should be laying though as their combs and wattles are the right size and colour.
Maybe tomorrow :wink:

Bodger

egg production?
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 07:24 »
Whilst weather does have an effect on egg production, a lot of it is down to the breed of chicken you keep, their age and at what stage they are at in their laying cycle.
I've mentioned this a number of times but I currently keep 7 Light Sussex and four Marans. They were all hatched last February. The LS are still laying really well, ( 5 or 6 a day) whilst I havent had a egg from the Marans for the last three months. They are all in the same pen and getting the same food. Guess which ones I rate the most highly ? :D

poultrygeist

egg production?
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 09:25 »
Note made for future reference  :wink:

pushrod

egg production?
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 09:38 »
Mine are all large fowl Buff Orpingtons. In the spring they will be providing some chicks that will end up on the table.

karlooben

egg production?
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 15:56 »
i have 19 girls an at most i am getting 4-5 eggs per day , i hope its just the weather thats putting them of although mine have been ill with colds on and of so that mite not help .

makes me think wether i am doing anything wrong sometimes when they dont lay .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

blulagoo

• Experienced Member
egg production?
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 19:30 »
I have a Warren and 2 Sussex that are laying (one bantam never has laid - neither has the cockerel!)

I get either 2 or 3 eggs a day and have done  since they started (3 a day in summer and autumn)

I love my girls! :tongue2:

unaspenser

• Pond-Hopper
    • Russet Lodge Knits
egg production?
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 19:39 »
I'm not getting any eggs either.  I bought my girls last September mid-molt and haven't seen an egg from any of them.  I think they're probably 2 years old... btw, how can I tell from combs/color if they are laying?
American, married to a Scot... we can't decide which side of the Atlantic we like best.

monarch

egg production?
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 19:43 »
10 Warrens 4 blackrocks..9 -10 eggs most days worst days are windy ones sometimes drop to 7
If you can't catch it grow it!!

coopready

egg production
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 20:25 »
hi i am a newbie so i shall wish you all a happy new year - i have 7 isa warrens ex bat  hens  1 light sussex and 3 speckledys  and i have had no less than 6 eggs all through this cold snap  :D
look after your girls and they will look after you

pushrod

egg production?
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 20:50 »
Quote from: "unaspenser"
I'm not getting any eggs either.  I bought my girls last September mid-molt and haven't seen an egg from any of them.  I think they're probably 2 years old... btw, how can I tell from combs/color if they are laying?

wattles (dangly bits) become bigger and both those and the comb become brighter red and warmer to the touch. When they go out of lay they take on a less bright appearance wattles get smaller and almost get a vague bluish tinge to them. You can also tell when they are layig by looking at their vent and feeling the gap between their pelvic bones - it's about 3 or 4cm when they are laying about 2 cm when not.

I got one egg today from my lazy lot  :lol:

pushrod

Re: egg production
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 20:57 »
Quote from: "coopready"
hi i am a newbie so i shall wish you all a happy new year - i have 7 isa warrens ex bat  hens  1 light sussex and 3 speckledys  and i have had no less than 6 eggs all through this cold snap  :D

hi coopready happy new year to you too  :) . Batts are kept in artifical light with controlled daylength  to ensure they are are not affected by the changing seasons. This usually means that when they are finally liberated they will often lay thru their first winter as they are still programmed if you know what i mean. You might not be so lucky next winter. I'm still jealous mind  :lol:

3Bluebelles

• Experienced Member
egg production?
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2009, 22:49 »
We have 3 bluebelles which we bought as POL at the end of September. I think they were about 16 weeks. 1 started laying early December, and has consistently laid 1 a day since. The 2nd has just started laying a few days ago. The 3rd shows no signs of laying.

You can tell by the combs and wattles getting much bigger and redder about 1-2 weeks before they start laying, and also they start crouching flat to the ground when you go any where near them.

Good luck with yours. It's lovely when they do start laying and you get fresh eggs every morning.

Jacky.

pushrod

egg production?
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2009, 22:58 »
Quote from: "3Bluebelles"
and also they start crouching flat to the ground when you go any where near them.

Jacky.

they must view you as a big cockerel  :wink:

xx
egg production

Started by johnfh on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 16, 2011, 23:13
by Lindeggs
smiley
Egg Production

Started by Beekissed on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 04, 2015, 12:20
by grinling
xx
egg production down

Started by greenockian on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 26, 2012, 16:39
by Prod
xx
Egg Production

Started by parson on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post July 31, 2009, 12:18
by parson

Page created in 0.276 seconds with 37 queries.