Sidney Sunday Lunch the cockerel

• 5 Replies

Kathie

• Experienced Member
Sidney Sunday Lunch the cockerel
« on: April 14, 2010, 09:43 »
Hi,
Sidney came to us to avoid becoming his previous owner's Sunday lunch, he is a beautiful, now 7 month old, Maran (and no trouble as yet!!).  However, he has taken to crowing through the night, we thought the coop may have become too low as he has grown so much, so built a higher coop but he prefers the old one.  We do not have any near neighbours and he doesn't wake us, we just hear him if we wake.  Is this common or do we have a problem? Any advice or comments would be very welcome, thanks
3 dogs now, 2 passed RIP Poppy and Paige, one wonderful husband and a new adventure on this wonderful island

Casey76

Re: Sidney Sunday Lunch the cockerel
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 10:20 »
Crowing at night is usually an alarm call.  Maybe something was prowling around int he garden?

Kathie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 10:49 »
Thanks for that Casey, we have had a lady, Mrs Speckeldy hen, disappear recently.  We are not sure if she was taken by a fox or a red kite, while we were out.  All our chickens are completely free range and often take themselves off across the lane into our neighbours paddock for a picnic, especially when fresh haylage has been delivered.  If Sid has been disturbed at night I can only presume it's been a fox. I'm at my wits end as to how to keep them safe.

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 10:52 »
You have to confine them then when you can't be with them. I lock mine in a 12 foot run when I go out, and it's completely covered roof and sides to keep out foxy

They reckon if you put a perch above the cockerel's head so that when he raises his head to crow then it'll be in his way and deter him. Don't know if it's true though as I've not tried it myself as I only have girls  :D

hendreary

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 19:10 »
This thread has really worried me.  My hens free range and we have Red Kites in the area one took a Pigeon from the bird table once. I assumed a hen would be too much for them but obviously I am wrong.
Geoff Davis. :)

Kathie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 11:38 »
Hi Hendreary,
we have since found Mrs Speckeldy hens body (RIP little one) in the hedges and it would appear to have been a polecat or mink that took our little girl from us, so maybe kites do not pose a threat but I'm not too sure.  We have 2 bantams that we fear for when kites and buzzards are around as a neighbour of ours saw their bantam taken last year, luckily she was dropped and made a full recovery so maybe larger hens would be too big

xx
the best chickens for sunday lunch?

Started by poppie on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 14, 2009, 20:48
by norfolkgrog
xx
Sunday Shocker!

Started by scrappydoo on The Hen House

27 Replies
Last post November 25, 2009, 13:40
by scrappydoo
xx
Broody due on Sunday :)

Started by Casey76 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 21, 2010, 11:42
by Casey76
question
First ladies arriving Sunday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started by mad mark on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 14, 2009, 09:13
by andreadon

Page created in 0.439 seconds with 28 queries.