New Chick arrived 2 days ago am worried about water feeder

• 4 Replies

French Chick

Hi There, I am new at rearing a chick and have seperated the mother and chick to another area and have read about Chick feed (which I have brought here in France) What is the chick water holder'? I have put the chick feed mixed with water (I think thats what it says in French on the packet) and I have put water in a china small pot. I also have a water feeder in there - one of those small plastic ones. I have looked in the usual pet areas  and the plastic water holder is the only one they sell, is there a special one for chicks. I am worried now as I don't know if they are drinking any water. It doesn't seem to go down and am I doing the right thing with the feed?

Casey76

Re: New Chick arrived 2 days ago am worried about water feeder
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 08:41 »
Hi :)  Feed the chick crumb dry.  It can go off quickly once it is moinst, and little uns are prone to infections as they haven't got a good immune system yet.

Do you have a Trefle Vert or Agri centre near by?  Normal pet shops are useless for poultry things, you need a big garden centre which stocks equipment for elevage not just an animalerie/zoo.

Even for wee chicks I use a gravity drinker.  You can get them as small as 1L, though 3L is more common - I think mine was about 5 euros.  You can also get a gravity drinker which uses a standard sized plastic bottle (for about 3 euros)

Until you find one, you can use a saucer with a well defined rim and cover the surface with galss marbles to stop the chick falling in and a) getting a chill from being wet or b) drowning

French Chick

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 10:33 »
Thanks Casey, I ran ut and put the dry crumbs in as soon as I read your comments. Sorry to sound a bit thick but I think I have a gravity feeder is it where you fill the top and turn over, it allows the water to fall into the rim, I have a litre one too, so am using that. Since I joined yesterday I feel more anxious reading all comments, I am sure my chick will survive without me being a fuss pot.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 10:37 »
The mum will do most of the work for you, most hens make very good mums. Just keep the feeder and waterer topped up and clean and you and they will be fine  :D Remember though to take loads of photos as they do grow so quickly  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Casey76

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 11:01 »
is it where you fill the top and turn over, it allows the water to fall into the rim

That's the one :)

Take a deep breath and relax ;)  Everything will be fine, I'm sure.

I think you need to get it some little friends though (hehe)

xx
Cracked chick feeder problem!

Started by rileyfin on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 04, 2012, 12:37
by tosca100
xx
Chick crumb feeder problem

Started by rileyfin on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 16, 2012, 08:13
by jennie hennie
xx
water feeder

Started by bramford on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 02, 2011, 20:04
by evie2
xx
Large water feeder?

Started by BML on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post November 04, 2011, 10:55
by Derculees

Page created in 0.469 seconds with 38 queries.