container gardening suggestions please

• 7 Replies

Mahogony

container gardening suggestions please
« on: April 08, 2010, 21:43 »
Hi all,
I am having difficulties with my allotment. Well its more of a patch of land I am borrowing but the owner has a lot of stuff on it that is still not cleared and I don't want to push it too much as they are doing me a favour letting me use it. I have as much cleared as I can but am kind of resigned to think that I won't be able to clear more in time this year so need to start thinking smaller.
I have already bought most of my seeds thinking I would have more space to put them in so I didn't get miniature varieties.
Can anyone advise what I can salvage please? Can I plant peas/beans/normal big tomatoes in hanging baskets?
If you had to squeeze your allotment into your back garden for a year what would you plant and where would you plant it?
I was dying to see BBC's the edible garden last night but was really disappointed that I didn't really learn much, very little info, too much black and white mock old footage of the dog.
thanks
Grow, dammit, grow.

Trillium

Re: container gardening suggestions please
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 22:44 »
If you can get hold of a copy of Vegetable, Fruit and Herb Growing in Small Spaces by John Harrison, (the site owner) it covers in detail what is worthwhile to grow in pots and containers, and what isn't.

One things about container plants is that you're forever watering them as they've so little soil, and the pot sizes can minimize output for some. Peas can be grown easily in rectangular planter boxes. Small bush toms can be grown in containers, as can leeks and onions and runner beans. Parsnips aren't worth the effort but you might get away with carrots. Spuds, if planted one per container would yield.

hoporus

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 12:13 »
Hi there I am a disabled lady and grow everything in containerscos if i get on the ground ill stay there lol I got flower buckets from a local store and made two rows of 8 amd stuck canes in and grew runner beans  Little round carrots will grow in storage boxes with drainage holes I have grown potatoes in asda long life bags or a wheelie bin  Tumblin tom tomatoes in hanging baskets A row of storage boxes and grow broad beans i put three plants to each side so with say three boxes you get 12 plants  Perppers in plantpots also cabbage  youll be surprised what will grow where Hope that helps

unconcerned

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 12:44 »
The co-op will give you the flower buckets free if I haven't nabbed them all first. I grew all my cucumbers in them last year, potatoes in those plastic trugs with drainage holes drilled in, salads in a window box and cherry toms in a hanging basket. and obviously the grow bags too!

I had to do all mine in containers the first year that I moved here. Lots of watering ahead for you though

corynsboy

• Experienced Member
    • http://growingyourownveg.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 13:23 »
If it's a salvage job you’re after then you might be better digging bits of land for some plants and bringing in containers for others.  You will need to get a bit inventive.  If the land needs to be cleared then you may find some things that will serve as containers this year.

Where you are putting a container on the floor have a think if you can dig the ground instead and maybe move the container on top of something that can't be moved.  If there is something there existing that you can grow your beans up then dig the ground immediately below it and use it to your advantage this season.   

It's kind of difficult to picture the size and shape of the problem. 

For tomatoes use the land, as a full size tom plant will not survive in a hanging basket.  Many of the baby tomato varieties love it up there but the weight to root ratio will not keep a full size plant in a hanging basket.  A six foot by six foot patch will get you 9 plants.  12 if you choose Roma which are much bushier and you'll find them on the front of Magazines this time of year.

I know "spring fever" always hits me hard and I want to plant everything in one go.  May I suggest a slower approach?   

Dig some land for Spuds and onions and get them in right away.  It doesn't have to be square or even connected together for this year.  You'll get more spuds from six tiny earth beds than you will form the same amount of potato bags they sell in B&Q.

Squeeze in a few carrots and beetroot next weekend these work well in containers or earth and find somewhere to plant your broad beans.  White Swiss chard looks great in a pot and you can sow leeks in a container this time of year and transfer them when they get a bit bigger.  All herbs are great in containers and can be planted in a well drained clean anything at this time of year.

Once you've kicked off try to work on another bit of land and when it's finished think about planting some of your brassicas directly into that soil. 

Strawberries will grow anywhere on, or in, anything just about.

Allotments and veg patches don't have to be organised or square.  Dig between or around the problem areas and get growing.  Come back to the problem areas later.  Hopefully your enthusiasm will encourage the owner to clear the rest of the land for you.  Just let him know which bits you've planted on!
Good luck.

Corynsboy's Blog

What's the difference between a good farmer and a bad farmer?  About a week.

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 20:08 »
Runner beans always give a good return and are expensive to buy at the supermarket. If I could only grow one crop that would be it.

Mahogony

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 21:02 »
Thanks a million for the replies,
My moter in law was up today and she agrees with all the advice here so we have identified some shrubs in our garden that can be sacrificed in the name of salvaging this years crop. 
I don't have the option of digging around the problem on the allotment so I will have to make do with whatever I can squeeze into my own garden.
As you said I'll get inventive.
Thanks again.

rhythmvick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 22:20 »
I know you've got lots of helopful advice alreay but I just wanted to add a bit. I'm growing in containers in my (small decked) back garden as I'm still on the wait list for my allotments. All in containers but I'm growing: carrots, chives, shallots, brocolli, spinach, kale, swiss chard, lettuce, peas, sweet peas, broad beans, french beans and herbs. Chillies, aubergines, squash, sweetcorn and carrots will be going out there too. And (grudgingly) a couple of flowers for the insects. Tomatoes and basil are being grown in one hanging basket (Tumblin Tom tomato variety), cut-and-come-again lettuce in another, and strawberries in another. Some in troughs, some in tubs, pots, flower buckets from the Coop and anything else I can lay my hands on. It's all been pretty successful so far; I find the only limitation is I don't grow things that take too long - I can't justify leeks, swedes, pots etc - they're in the ground for so long that it takes up too much space that could be used and reused in that time.

Have fun!
Gardens... should be like lovely, well-shaped girls:  all curves, secret corners, unexpected deviations, seductive surprises and then still more curves.  ~H.E. Bates, A Love of Flowers

xx
Container Gardening Car

Started by Simon Newman on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 24, 2007, 22:56
by starmoonlilly
xx
Container Gardening

Started by Mago on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 14, 2007, 14:03
by muntjac
xx
Container Gardening - Parsnips...

Started by MattieG on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 28, 2014, 23:29
by shoozie
xx
Design Project -Vegetable Container gardening

Started by cc85 on Grow Your Own

33 Replies
Last post March 07, 2008, 15:45
by laurals11

Page created in 0.504 seconds with 27 queries.