hanging basket toms

• 10 Replies

kermit

• Experienced Member
  • Small garden, large raised beds
hanging basket toms
« on: April 02, 2010, 16:23 »
Currently growing 100s&1000s, sweet millions and tumbling tom.  I only have a small plastic greenhouse and limited garden space, so this year decided to go small  8)

I'm wondering what size of container these types can cope with - I have everything from large 2 feet deep sacks to smaller patio pots, to pretty small hanging baskets.  So, do they need a deep pot?  will they benefit from a deeper pot, and how many can I cram in together (I read that you can put 3 plants in one hanging basket, which seems crazy!)?

Also, just back from a week away to see them all coming on a storm - the first flower trusses seem to be appearing at the centre of some of them, which is just so much quicker than my other varieties last 2 years.  Is it normal for such imature plants to be throwing out flowers so soon?  Sowed them 14 Feb, potted on 7 March.  Currently around 6 - 10 inches tall with good leaf growth.

Needless to say, they will be getting transported to my mums large heated conservatory, and lesson learned for next year...

Babstreefern

Re: hanging basket toms
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 18:30 »
I grew tumbling toms last year in hanging baskets - I put 3 in a 16" basket which is more than enough.  Two in that basket would have been adequate as well.  I also grew two in a 14" tub in work (it was also deep).  Funnily enough, the ones outside had far more tomatoes than the ones at work, even though they were on a southside windowsill. :D
Babs

Elcie

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 20:53 »
I got very small hanging baskets last year from Poundland and had quite a large crop from the two plants I put in them.  They are quite unusual too and got a few comments.

Brushcutter

• Andrews Decorating
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 21:13 »
Like Elcie we had tumbling toms in really small wall mounted hanging baskets last year, 2 or 3 plants in each one, fantastic results, got to keep an eye on the watering and feeding in the smaller containers, will do the same this year.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 21:59 »
Gartenperle do well in baskets too and are a pretty pink colour  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

jimmytheshed

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 22:16 »
ildi done well in a hanging basket for me last year (grew quite large) loads of toms until novermber.  Bushscutter where in faversham are you from and what site if any?

kermit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 10:08 »
Thanks folks - think i will try a mixture of hanging baskets, pots and sacks.  Will report back in autumn!

So, is anyone else getting 1st signs of flower trusses yet?!  ???

Brushcutter

• Andrews Decorating
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 15:32 »
Hi Jimmytheshed, We are on Ospringe Road, have just got our first allotment at Joyce Field, Ospringe allotments, only a quarter plot, thinking about expanding allready!

upert

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 19:29 »
mine have only shown their first true leaves about a week ago so you're ahead of me with the flowering wotsits. i used 16 inch baskets last year with only one plant in each and got a lot of tomatoes per plant. today i used my 12 inch baskets for flowers as i didn't think they'd be large enough for tomatoes. i wonder how big your toms were when planted three to a basket?

i also grew some in those hanging bags for flowers things, so 30 inch deep but only 6 inches wide at the top. again, lots of tomatoes. i grew most of them in the greenhouse so they were saved from blight.

poppies

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 20:15 »
Hi, careful as they get very heavy when loaded down with tomatoes,  I used an old basket last year and the chain broke luckily not too much damage.

kermit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 21:37 »
sorry, another question - just noticed that the 3 plants that are noticeably taller than my others on the go are all Sweet Millions.  I had thought that they were just leggy, but been browsing various websites and many seem to suggest they need staking.  How does this work in a hanging basket?!  do you must let the whole plant flop over the side of the baket?  How does the stem not break?

xx
How many Tumbling Toms in a 16" hanging basket please?

Started by Kirpi on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 01, 2013, 16:12
by BabbyAnn
xx
re-using hanging basket compost

Started by joyce c on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 14, 2010, 22:43
by cooperman
xx
hanging basket tomatoes

Started by kermit on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 16, 2010, 21:09
by Elcie
xx
Hanging Basket and tomatoes advice

Started by Italian Bob. on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 18, 2013, 18:06
by devonbarmygardener

Page created in 0.563 seconds with 36 queries.