Brassica problems

• 8 Replies

joannazoo

Brassica problems
« on: June 02, 2007, 11:06 »
Hi being new to all this veg growing thing, I am trying red cabbages and brussels in my allotment, and the small bed at home. At home they are doing very well (very huge more like) but the allotment ones were put in later and seemed to have succumbed to insect infestation. I have looked it up in books, and it is similar to aphid infestation (yellow curling leaves, slower growth) there are small eggs visible under the leaves, which also look like aphids, but there are black beetles hanging around looking menacing  :) which look too black and too solid to be aphid, they are also more of a beetle shape (think female stag, but 2mm long) than my experience with aphids suggests.
So my questions are:
What are they?
How can I treate this organically?
How can I treate this full stop?
Have I lost the crop?

WG.

Brassica problems
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 11:07 »
Any possibility of some piccies please?

joannazoo

Brassica problems
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 11:10 »
not at the moment...

WG.

Brassica problems
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 11:19 »
Quote from: "joannazoo"
not at the moment...

Then I'm guessing with this answer ...

The beetles may actually be your best organic solution since some species are carnivorous.

Might the eggs simply be Cabbage White Butterfly?  No matter, I suggest you rub them off.  Most probable is Mealy Aphid - spray repeatedly with garlic spray.

WG.

Brassica problems
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 11:20 »

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Brassica problems
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2007, 11:25 »
Yellowing leaves maybe the old cabbage root fly and by chance the eggs are from something else, to me it sound like CRF. pull one up and look at roots to see if any of the maggots are munching the roots.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

joannazoo

Brassica problems
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2007, 15:18 »
Definately not cabbage white butterfly - wrong shape for butterfly eggs, and they are covered, so a butterfly couldn't get through the nesh.
I hadn't thought about the beetle being a predator... that could explain a lot! I will however try lifting one to see the roots, to check there as well. If it is that, is there anything I can do?
How go you make garlic spray? ( i have searched both these topics and come up with nothing)

WG.

Brassica problems
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2007, 15:27 »
Quote from: "joannazoo"
How go you make garlic spray? ( i have searched both these topics and come up with nothing)

See garlic spray in the Glossary of Terms in the Welcome forum  

All please feel free to vote in the poll & to contribute further terms (with or without definitions) :D

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Brassica problems
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2007, 15:30 »
If it is CRFly then those that have been attacked are gonna's, lift and burn them, when you plant your brassicas put collars on, if you do a search for cabbage collars there will be loads of threads covering the subject, I am afraid as I have just found out that even with collars some may still be attacked, I have just lost 6 purple broccoli. All wilted with yellow leaves. The root shoot have lots of roots coming off the main, if attacked it can look a little stumpy.

xx
brassica problems

Started by mrsparkle on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 28, 2011, 09:58
by mumofstig
xx
Brassica Problems

Started by digital_biscuit on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 20, 2009, 13:00
by bailey
xx
Brassica problems

Started by Lesleyk on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 14, 2012, 09:10
by mumofstig
xx
Brassica problems - Purple Sprouting and Kale

Started by cheadleplotter on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 28, 2009, 22:57
by Eatyourgreens

Page created in 0.572 seconds with 37 queries.