What I planted today out side

• 17 Replies

Lottieluv

What I planted today out side
« on: March 13, 2010, 18:03 »
Today I went down the lottie and dug 3 massive patches and planted.  .........

Onions
shllots
rocket potatoes
 leeks that are about 8 inchs long that I found in the shed in buckets liveing in soil ??????
God knows how they grew in the dark but there a Funny shape

What else has everyone else got in .???

Or are you waiting for a few weeks yet ???

andy135

Re: What I planted today out side
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 18:23 »
I going to wait untill the end of this month before I put anything out. The ground is just too cold and wet. I've been digging it over just to help it dry out a little, and therefore the temperature should rise a bit quicker. I don't want anything to suffer a frost which could knock them down.

Starling

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 18:36 »
I did shallots and onions today too Lottieluv.  Got my garlic and strawberries outside too.  I was going to wait until the end of the month to do the potatoes but everyone seems to be doing them now.  This is my first year so I am planning on doing some in the ground and some in planters just to see what the results are.

richie370

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 19:55 »
i not got anything in the ground yet but definatley in the dog house for commandeering the wifes dining table in the kitchen to ensure all my seedlings get off to a good start  :D got a greenhouse but no heater yet and we still getting the frost up north....

hoping to have sweetcorn, leeks, planted out in the next week or 2  and have cues and toms and melons in seedling  which i hope to get in the greenhouse very soon so maybe i can stop dinner from reaching the dog before it hits the table  :D

1jim

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 20:02 »
Onions went outside in the garden beds today too
Have sowed tomatoes, peppers,sweet peas, early peas and salad in unheated propergators today, dining table quite covered now but wife not to unhappy yet....need to get more trays though

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 20:04 »
Richie370 I hope you mean that you are sowing sweetcorn in the next few weeks rather than planting it outside (unless your location "northwest" means the north west of Africa!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

richie370

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 20:13 »
corns  a new one  to me i not grown it before ,,,,,i got it chitting out at the  moment  ( as advised  from a  friend) plan is to put it in pots in the next week or 2......any alternate advice welcome  :) think the packet also says plant straight outside in march? i went for keeping it indoor  after chitting as a just in case thing due to the weather

Lottieluv

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 20:18 »
I wouldn't plant sweet corn out side for a good 6 weeks. As we are 3 weeks behind at the Moment for the season any way .  Start of in house but I wouldn't plant out unroll warm that's for shaw

fekq

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 20:22 »
Finally got round to digging out the compost bins and transporting contents to pea and bean trenches. so of course had to reward myself by sowing some ambassador peas and mangetout. it does say march on the packet -- prob too early, but i got the packets for 20p last autumn in a Wyevale clearout...!

also sowed radish in patch that i've been warming with black plastic, and some Nandor carrots under enviromesh (in attempt this year to overcome dreaded c****t fly). and some bolthardy beetroot.

i went to the lottie for 30 mins and spent 4 hours there....

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2010, 20:26 »
corns  a new one  to me i not grown it before ,,,,,i got it chitting out at the  moment  ( as advised  from a  friend) plan is to put it in pots in the next week or 2......any alternate advice welcome  :) think the packet also says plant straight outside in march? i went for keeping it indoor  after chitting as a just in case thing due to the weather

If you've got some sweetcorn seeds that can be planted outside in the UK in March please send me some!!!!!

They are very tender and will sulk big-time if the weather is not warm enough (they are also one of the most delicious crops to harvest from the plot or garden so don't ruin their chances!)

Glosterboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2010, 20:30 »
Row of Broad Beans sown. Spring Cabbage just beginning to heart-up. Autumn planted onions and garlic all look well. Autumn raspberries given a good mulch with rotten horse dung. All in all not too bad.

viettaclark

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2010, 20:30 »
I've put 24' early carrots into pre-warmed soil under cloches. I'll be planting sugar snap and mangetout pretty soon under cloche.
 Broad beans, hardy peas, onions, garlic, shallots, hardy lettuce, lamb's lettuce and spring onions were planted last year; all survived the weather with no cover at all and the bbs are budding!! 8) ;)

rem858

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2010, 20:51 »
got all my onion & shallots in today also sowed leeks spring onions broad beans in the greenhouse hoping to get over all day tomorrow for a digging session 

wildwitchy

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2010, 21:28 »
sweetcorn are worth growing & very easy-a bit of a fiddle to start (transplanting the long root system) but so yummy & if you keep chickens they will love you forever.

fletch

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2010, 20:33 »
I don't sow my sweetcorn until April (and that's in the greenhouse). I treat them as bedding plants, i.e. kept in the greenhouse and hardened off for planting out out when frost has definitely passed.
The year before last I got 2 cobs from each plant (not bad for my location). Last year I was a bit ambitious and planted them out in early May and they sulked, and sulked and sulked..... and I didn't get a cob off a single one  :(.

Definitely a crop to be patient with up North.
First timer, NOT enjoying the backache anymore!

xx
What have you planted today

Started by Bigbadfrankie on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post March 03, 2009, 08:34
by woodburner
xx
Planted My Spuds Today

Started by coatesi on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 18, 2007, 09:28
by coatesi
xx
Sweetcorn planted out today.

Started by Digger Tom on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post May 05, 2010, 21:25
by sunshineband
xx
Planted an apple tree today !

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 22, 2018, 21:34
by missmoneypenny

Page created in 0.446 seconds with 37 queries.