Sowing west midlands!

• 29 Replies

fletcherbaker

• Experienced Member
Sowing west midlands!
« on: March 12, 2010, 20:15 »
Just wanted to know as ive broke up from work today for a week if its safe to plant anything outside yet,as ive obviously got time now it would be the ideal time as you can see im from the west mids and wondered if anyone from the same area as planted anything in the ground yet. Ive had my raised bed in the garden covered over in plastic sheeting for a few weeks now to keep frost off it :D

plot6b

Re: Sowing west midlands!
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 20:20 »
Ive nothing in the ground as yet but I have planted potatoes in bags on the patio. Might be a bit early but I've plenty more chitting.

Lardman

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 21:37 »
I put onions and shallots in last weekend. Will probably look at putting the first sowing of broad beans in tomorrow as the forecast is for warmer and wetter conditions next week.

stentman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 21:51 »
In tropical oasis of telford garlic and onions went in last year. This year so far shallots are in and seeds sown for beetroot, carrot and parsnip. In an unheated greenhouse leeks and spring onions are showing in litter trays, kids turnips are up. Unheated conservatory has broad beans and peas just about bursting through the compost. Potatoes still chitting and will probably go in next weekend rather than this.
Stents keeping things open 24/7

If one way be better than another, that you can be sure is natures way. Aristotle 384BC - 322BC

Hey Jude

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 22:31 »
Hi Fletch, my Dad's adamant the first earlies are going in middle of next week, as he's then off on holiday - he's very possessive about his spuds even though I'm more than capable of planting them the week after if the soils not warm enough (though I think it will be fine!) (by the way, we're near Stratford Upon Avon).

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 22:47 »
It doesn't matter how old or experienced you are you still can't predict the weather, especially in the last few years!

Spuds will suffer if planted now and the ground then freezes solid, and this spring is not exactly off to a flier!

The middle of next week is probably about the earliest most people would plant their spuds in any given year; if your Dad has a crystal ball I hope he has kept it well polished, but then again most years the "bragging rights" often belong to the gamblers!

Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

wildwitchy

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 00:55 »
I've done some seeds indoors but i'm not planting any veg's out yet till next month. The frost will get them. We've had a really harsh winter this year & I don't want to risk losing me spuds.

Tattyanne456

• Experienced Member
  • who says I only grow Mickey Mouse potatoes!
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 06:16 »
I'm down South, and I've nothing in the ground yet. Potatoes are chitting, peas are sown in the greenhouse as are broad beans. I have sweet potato in water in the front room window and some tomatoes, chilli ginger  lemongrass and a few herbs on the kitchen windowsill! Not planning on getting anything in the ground until the end of March.

wildwitchy

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 15:23 »
I got up early with the animals & it was very frosty here in birmingham, people were scraping their car windows. Mind the seeds are growing really well in the house.

fletcherbaker

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2010, 18:23 »
Tropical oasis telford :D I think i may leave my first earlys a few weeks but im thinking of dropping my sturon onion sets in middle of next week fingers crossed and maybe cover them with fleece what you think?Im from Walsall  and this week the frost seems to of gone i know it will be back soon but soil is workable at minute!!

wildwitchy

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2010, 21:20 »
Well like tattyanne said, I'm not putting anything in onions, spuds or any seeds till at least end of march, beg of april. I'd put them in this time last year mind but I can't tell anyone what to do. The only thing I have done is bare rasp canes/fruit trees & dug over the lottie so the frost can break up the clods of earth for me. I was talking to some fella on the lottie about it & he was saying there was a servere frost the one year on the whitsun bank holiday which caught everyone out!  :ohmy:

Lottiegob

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2010, 22:31 »
- an early gardener is a busy gardener.... :D
I'm queen of my own compost heap and I'm getting used to the smell.

yummy

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2010, 23:05 »
In Coventry. Not sown anything yet. Allotment only just thawed out.

corndolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2010, 09:05 »
In Worcestershire and have nt sown anything yet.Of course, would love to but the soil is still very cold.The patch is more or less ready for the onion sets , so they will be going in next weekend and a few rows of broad beans , the overwintering beans were completely dead so they have been dug in.
Hope to sow leek seeds  in boxes the DD way , always works for us , we plant around 1200,lots of boxes !
Looks like the week before Easter is going to be very busy hope the weather is on our side.
Growing organic fruit and vegetables

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2010, 10:00 »
In Rugby, I've put broad beans in (3rd attempt - lost all my autumn sown ones, tried some in greenhouse a few weeks ago and none came up) so fingers crossed 3rd time lucky.
I was thinking of putting in shallots today, and maybe a few onion sets (I've got loads) and leaving the rest of the onion sets until end of month. Now I'm having second thoughts - maybe I will leave everything a bit later. Better late than never...
Rachael

xx
manure - west midlands

Started by Deano27 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post October 02, 2011, 20:52
by azubah
xx
World's hottest chilli - here in the East Midlands

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post February 19, 2011, 18:34
by bigben
xx
Runner beans: is it safe to plant established stock outside in Midlands

Started by Hugh on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 20, 2020, 14:23
by Growster...
xx
West+ compost

Started by Daytrader on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post March 15, 2013, 18:58
by Daytrader

Page created in 0.829 seconds with 37 queries.