does anybody really save money?

• 64 Replies

gardener247

• Experienced Member
does anybody really save money?
« on: March 07, 2010, 20:52 »
to be honest  i'd say i break even but does anybody find it a real moneysaver?

Rangerkris

• My pic's
Re: does anybody really save money?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 20:56 »
Not sure, but i do try things i would not buy in the shops as they seem expensive.
Thanks
Kris

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 20:57 »
Oh not that old chestnut again! :tongue2:

Are we costing purely on what you can produce or bringing the other considerable physical and mental welfare benefits into it that you don't have to fork out for?
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

gardener247

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 20:59 »
hmm probably talking about the produce, i'm starting out now ant there seems to be a lot of expenses :mad:

DavidT

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 20:59 »
How much money are you saving by not buying gym membership for goodness sake. :D

DavidT

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 21:01 »
You are investing for the long term, come back in 10 years and see what your figures work out at then.lol

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 21:02 »
If I could have a quid for everytime I've seen this thread!!!

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 21:02 »
No, I don't save money overall yet.  I'm only into my second year, and still needing to buy bits and bats.  Despite me having some great friends on here who send me free seeds and plants, I still have to buy odd tools, wood for a new shed, gloves, poultry pellets, BF&B and all the myriad stuff.

No I dont save any money (yet), but as the advert says, to me, with the friends Ive made, the fitness Ive earned, the conversations its opened up and the happiness of feeding my family with my own produce,  its priceless.
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

DavidT

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 21:08 »
As some of you may know, I have just taken over managing a largish veg plot for a client. I have spent several hundreds of pounds ( of his money ) on seeds, timber, pot`s/trays and other sundries. But this money will be recouped over the next 4 or 5 years. It cost about 4 grand for the greengouse. :lol: :lol: :D

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 21:10 »
Four grand!! Now thats my kind of luxury...s*d the foreign hols!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 21:12 »
Yes I think you save money :)

Think about the humble courgette for example...how much do they charge for those in the supermarket and how many can you get from 1 plant...and how much does 1 seed cost plus the amount of compost for a 3 inch pot to grow it in?
and runner beans are also very generous, yet cost quite a bit to buy.

Admittedly at the beginning you can spend a lot ..but you don't have to.
A few tools a few seed and some general fertiliser and the soil is all you really need to get a crop, anything else are optional extras.

Talk to the old boys who grew their food during the war......if it had cost them more to grow than  than to buy they wouldn't have done it...simple as that  :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2010, 21:14 »
OK.

Eighth year on this site, I think. Council in their wisdom have sold my previous ones and are now having to pay the price of finding new ones.

There will be a few things to buy on top of rent and seeds, like replacement canes, compost etc. but I reckon 50p a day, or around £180 for the year will more than easily do it.

Bearing in mind that there is very, very little I buy - including spuds for the best part of the year, coupled with £500 in donations for excess produce to church funds, I'd say that I'm not running at a loss.

As said, you have to look beyond the first year, if you're looking for short term savings, let someone else have your plot.

Trikidiki

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2010, 21:31 »
Yes I think you save money :)

Talk to the old boys who grew their food during the war......if it had cost them more to grow than  than to buy they wouldn't have done it...simple as that  :D

I don't think it was that simple.

It wasn't the cost which prompted 'Dig for Victory'. It was lack of supply of imported food was the problem. People were willing to pay for food but it was rationed.

Anything you could grow for yourself was 'off ration' and therefore a bonus.

Cavolo Nero

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2010, 21:40 »
And of course anything you grow yourself tastes about a million times better than the stuff in the supermarkets. :)
"If you want to be happy for a day, get drunk. If you want to be happy for a week, get married. If you want to be happy for the rest of your life, be a gardener." - Chinese proverb

lacewing

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2010, 21:45 »
It depends on why you are doing it. If you look on it as a hobby and you have a passion for growing things, then it's a case of how much you want to spend. If on the other hand you just want to grow vegetables with a minimal outlay, it can be very cost effictive. I think it's a matter of personal choice realy.  
There is no better show of antisipation than a man sowing seeds in a field.

xx
I save ...

Started by wellingtons on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 03, 2008, 23:20
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Help! How can I save my Onions?!

Started by Raven50 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 24, 2012, 18:20
by hubballi
xx
Can I save my Leeks

Started by Missy1970 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 05, 2010, 20:22
by Swing Swang
xx
Do you save your own seed?

Started by sunshineband on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 28, 2017, 19:24
by sunshineband

Page created in 1.229 seconds with 30 queries.