does anybody really save money?

• 64 Replies

Swing Swang

Re: does anybody really save money?
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2010, 07:58 »
Yes - and quite a lot once you're 'up and running'.

All my outgoings are costed (except 'time'). All the savings are 'true savings' too. What I mean is this - if you would have only bought (in season) carrots, sprouts and spuds for a meal but you replace these with home-grown out of season exotics then the saving is what you would of bought, not on the cost buying the stuff that you actually harvested (although your quality of life may be far better).

So based on these criteria for family Swang, we 'save' very little during the winter, but up to 90% of the green-grocery shop in the height of the summer. And of course there's all the stuff you give away 'for nothing'/home made presents etc/preserves for the winter.

SS

mandycharlie

• Experienced Member
    • Blossom and Sunshine
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2010, 08:40 »
I reckon I save alot of money.  Just in my raspberry production alone must have covered the cost of my shed and greenhouse in the last three years.  How much are the silly little punnets in the supermarkets? 

I'm always terribly shocked when I have run out of onions and potatoes and I have to buy them..  It almost makes me want to put them back on the shelf!

BostonInbred

• Experienced Member
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2010, 09:35 »
It always a win/win for me, partially because i get composts  and fertilisers virtually free (I pay 70p for a 70L bag of m/p compost and £1 for a 25 Kg bag of pelleted chicken poo). The allotment is 17 poles and would cost £44 except my wife is 61 so we get pensioners half price concession, £22 a year.

So you need to be a genius at that outlay not to grow veg cheaper then the supermarket.

davethespread

« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2010, 09:41 »
is that what its about,saving money? i beg to differ,i grow my own veg because they taste far superior to supermarket produce,you know whats been put on them,you get exercise and fresh air whilst doing your plot and sometimes its nice being somewhere quiet and stress free.
i dont suffer with insanity..........i enjoy every minute of it.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2010, 09:50 »
That's what I said - I think - in the third post on this thread.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Sid

• Experienced Member
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2010, 09:53 »
For me, all the hard work and watching them grow and harvesting is priceless . :)
We do it because we want some control over what we put into our bodies minus chemicals..
But also we are passionate about growing fruit and veg and then cooking with them.
I have recorded all outgoings for first year,mainly out of curiosity,but it won't change my views on GYO .
if you want to be happy for a short time, get drunk; happy for a long time, fall in love; happy for ever, take up gardening

davethespread

« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2010, 10:04 »
That's what I said - I think - in the third post on this thread.

great minds think alike then DD,or is it fools seldom differ :unsure: :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2010, 10:05 »
Sadly, I think it's the latter! :tongue2:

davethespread

« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2010, 10:06 »
 :lol: :lol: :lol:

newatthis

• Experienced Member
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2010, 10:33 »
hi, as for the question does any one save money, well it's a hard 1, i've been lucky so far we got our shed free from ice, the greenhouse was free(saved from a next door neighbour's son when he went on a smashing fit, all glass that was re-placed was free from the tip, my other half works there..), the horse poo is free, seeds was given to us(some out of date but we still keep fingers x the grow), the only thing we have payed for is the plot and some of the tools..ie rotavater, new hand tools and gloves,
we do get a lot of stuff from freecycle and the tip.. sorry if im showing off..  :)
this is the first full year
zoe pattinson :)

fletcherbaker

• Experienced Member
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2010, 14:00 »
Well as this is my first year i have found there is a bit more expense than i thought but to be fair once i get going i think it should all pay for itself may take a few years but its also a hobby not doing it to save cash really,its also good as it gets the kids out of the house and get there hands dirty  :D

Yabba

« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2010, 16:47 »
Outgoings : Nil (except time )

Veg : Supplied May -> Nov last year

I'd say I'm winning, but I'd say that anyway because as others have mentioned it's not about money ;)

¥

Pompey Spud

« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2010, 17:39 »
I personally don't give a fig about the money as its a hobby and I/we love it.  Time spent down there with my family is great. Our neighbours are envious, all on the waiting list.

As DD has said..if its a saving money issue go to poundland.

Hardly play golf now which does need time. Seriously thinking of selling nearly new Ping irons and bag so I can get a nice new shed.
Top tip for camping....don't go.

plum crumble

« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2010, 17:44 »
Pompey Spud - I presume you will be saving money on a season ticket as well?? ::)  ::) :lol:
small, Welsh and almost certainly bonkers, but can be tamed with Talisker, if required

madcat

« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2010, 17:51 »
Naughty!!!  You shouldnt make a grown man cry!   :ohmy:   :D
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

xx
I save ...

Started by wellingtons on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 03, 2008, 23:20
by GrannieAnnie
xx
How can i save my plant?

Started by andyh2712 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 17, 2008, 22:17
by lincspoacher
xx
Help! How can I save my Onions?!

Started by Raven50 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 24, 2012, 18:20
by hubballi
xx
Can I save my Leeks

Started by Missy1970 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 05, 2010, 20:22
by Swing Swang

Page created in 0.725 seconds with 36 queries.