Good Garlic

• 44 Replies

bluelou

• Experienced Member
Good Garlic
« on: March 02, 2010, 13:06 »
Can anyone suggest a good type of Garlic to plant now, we still are getting a lot of snow and ice.

prakash_mib

Re: Good Garlic
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 14:25 »
surprise surprise...
I bought a white small variety from tescos and planted in october. They are good 6" tall now. Hope it sprouts.
£0.30 is a good price
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 18:00 »
You might be alright with that, prakash mib, but we don't tend to recommend that people grow from supermarket plants.  They tend to be varieties not suited to our climate (i.e. more mediterranean) and can import viruses or disease.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

earthing83

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 18:29 »
It's my first year growing garlic but I have read up on suitable types to plant now and have decided on solent white (advice from books and catalogues!)

craggy

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 19:27 »
You might be alright with that, prakash mib, but we don't tend to recommend that people grow from supermarket plants.  They tend to be varieties not suited to our climate (i.e. more mediterranean) and can import viruses or disease.
never had a problem with sainsbury's basics garlic.

Cazzy

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 19:55 »
I bought Aldi's garlic (the ones sold for planting) and they were mouldy inside, I managed to salvage a few cloves though.

So, I will be buying some from tesco as they sell scottish garlic from the Really Garlicky Co (or some other name thats similar)
What if the Hokey Cokey IS what its all about...

Joolz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 20:38 »
I got some beautiful Solent White bulbs from a seller on ebay. Huge cloves. I was a bit worried as I bought it in November and the snow, ice and then rain meant I had to keep it in the fridge for ages. But it still looked as fresh as a daisy when I finally got to plant it a couple of weeks ago.
Hopefully it will do well!

Joolz

Cavolo Nero

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 20:59 »
I've planted French germidour I bought in december and forgot about. It's supposed to be an autumn sowing variety but when I found them again 3 weeks ago they'd sprouted in the packet so I stuck them in(it's my first year*). They've shot up despite frost - about 6" tall now. I'm going to sow my carrots next to them in the hope the smell deters the dreaded carrot fly!
"If you want to be happy for a day, get drunk. If you want to be happy for a week, get married. If you want to be happy for the rest of your life, be a gardener." - Chinese proverb

prakash_mib

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 21:22 »
I dont agree with your comments Yorkie. The seed companies are there to make money and they just sell at premium. I still dont believe the seed prices over here.
When I went to india I saw 10 vegetable seed packs (of 5-25 seeds each) sold at price of 10 ruppees (around 12p) I was awed by the price as we dont get any seed below £1. Those seeds still grow and produce. we are not great producers for mass market. We can live with whatever seeds we can get.
It is true that the seeds are produced for getting the best out in the local region. Britain has no local region. climate/weather/rainfall/temperature vary every 10 miles. Do you feel the seeds are made in UK? nah... they are "manufactured" in some sun drenched places like spain or at gas guzzling green houses at holland.
Doesnt bother me as long as we get the produce at a reasonable (read cheap) price

Snoop

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 21:38 »
Actually, the world's biggest producer of garlic is China. I presume garlic sold in supermarkets in the UK is labelled with the place of origin. It would be interesting to know how much of it actually comes from the Mediterranean.

craggy

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 21:51 »
Actually, the world's biggest producer of garlic is China. I presume garlic sold in supermarkets in the UK is labelled with the place of origin. It would be interesting to know how much of it actually comes from the Mediterranean.
just make sure it,s healthy.give it full sun.good drainage,and if possible a bit of cold weather first.pull at the right time,dry it properly,and string it up.

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2010, 21:58 »
My Solent wight and Arno has just broken the surface of the tub it was planted in (8th Feb) but the shoots look brown from the tip to about an inch down, not the bright green i was hoping for....

Anyone know if that's normal?????

craggy

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2010, 21:59 »
My Solent wight and Arno has just broken the surface of the tub it was planted in (8th Feb) but the shoots look brown from the tip to about an inch down, not the bright green i was hoping for....

Anyone know if that's normal?????
normal,i think it,s the top skin of the bulb

DAVINA

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2010, 22:00 »
Hi
hello im new on here, but i would like to know when is the right time to pull garlick?
really interesting what everyone is saying, is it the same for seed potatoes?, because they say its best to buy the seed rather than just throwing in some sprouting spuds? im trying both on my alloment but it can be quite confusing.

prakash_mib

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2010, 22:06 »
Davina,
I think common sense will prevail. Garlic is one vegetable where you dont bother to have more kick or less and you wont bother if you get less yield on garlic. but if the tatties dont taste good you wont touch it and you wont forgive yourself seeing the neighbour harvesting truck load of spuds. get the clue.
I am not prophessing that store bought garlics are best. But I am against the atrocious pricing or £2.78 for 3 bulbs guaranteeing that they are the best for your climate, where we dont have a common climate.
and put your location in profile so that members can provide location specific advise.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 22:09 by prakash_mib »

xx
When is Garlic ready to be used as Green Garlic?

Started by Headgardener22 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 01, 2012, 12:55
by arugula
clip
Elephant garlic or ordinary garlic

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 14, 2022, 13:46
by cc
xx
Elephant Garlic / Garlic

Started by dapper on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 28, 2009, 08:25
by dapper
clip
If it's good enough for Kew ...

Started by Barry C on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 12, 2017, 21:19
by Barry C

Page created in 0.648 seconds with 28 queries.