Good Garlic

• 44 Replies

craggy

Re: Good Garlic
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2010, 22:08 »
Hi
hello im new on here, but i would like to know when is the right time to pull garlick?
really interesting what everyone is saying, is it the same for seed potatoes?, because they say its best to buy the seed rather than just throwing in some sprouting spuds? im trying both on my alloment but it can be quite confusing.
august,when the leaves go yellow

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2010, 22:09 »
My Solent wight and Arno has just broken the surface of the tub it was planted in (8th Feb) but the shoots look brown from the tip to about an inch down, not the bright green i was hoping for....

Anyone know if that's normal?????
normal,i think it,s the top skin of the bulb

thanks Craggy, we'll see!!  ;)

DAVINA

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2010, 22:36 »
hi
im sorry was that an answer?abit cryptic at this time of night, iv never grown garlic or spuds,  :blink:

DAVINA

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2010, 22:39 »
ok thanks craggie

prakash_mib

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2010, 22:40 »
hi
im sorry was that an answer?abit cryptic at this time of night, iv never grown garlic or spuds,  :blink:
certainly seeds would be better. Always prefer seeds (am not being sarcastic) the proper garden centre shop. But If you want to try something new, take a challenge (even if you know you are going to fail) cross the boundaries!!!!
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

bonfire

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2010, 22:53 »
I just grow from last years. Solent White first bought three years ago and Purple Moldovan from two years ago producing very good crops and both excellent for keeping - I'm so mean I think you're being extravagant buying Sainsbury's basics.

galen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2010, 23:05 »
You might be alright with that, prakash mib, but we don't tend to recommend that people grow from supermarket plants.  They tend to be varieties not suited to our climate (i.e. more mediterranean) and can import viruses or disease.
I dont agree with your comments Yorkie. The seed companies are there to make money and they just sell at premium. I still dont believe the seed prices over here.
When I went to india I saw 10 vegetable seed packs (of 5-25 seeds each) sold at price of 10 ruppees (around 12p) I was awed by the price as we dont get any seed below £1. Those seeds still grow and produce. we are not great producers for mass market. We can live with whatever seeds we can get.
It is true that the seeds are produced for getting the best out in the local region. Britain has no local region. climate/weather/rainfall/temperature vary every 10 miles. Do you feel the seeds are made in UK? nah... they are "manufactured" in some sun drenched places like spain or at gas guzzling green houses at holland.
Doesnt bother me as long as we get the produce at a reasonable (read cheap) price

I think one of the main issues here is the introduction of viruses and desease - You usually see garlic for growing (and certainly seed potatoes) advertised as certified / virus / desease free etc which you will never see on produce, for eating, bought from a supermarket. There has been many a thread on this subject in the past, the thing you must remember is if you are on an allotment site you don't really want to be the one that introduces any nasties...  :(

DAVINA - Just found the recent one on potatoes - http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=50572.0
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 23:15 by galen »
Paul, Andrew, Kevin, Galen - My parents got bored of normal names in the end!

Trikidiki

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2010, 23:21 »
I'm trying six varieties this year.
Early Purple, Christo, Solent, Chesnor, Albigensian and an unknown varety from a friend (probably Marco).i

The plan is to keep the best to use as seed next year.

I seem to remember reading somewhere or hearing that garlic will acclimatise itself to your locality if you keep replanting your own cloves each year.

The other thing to bear in mind is that some supermarket garlic is treated to restrict it sprouting.

bigben

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2010, 09:10 »
Like Trikidiki - a friend told me about garlic acclimatising itself to where it is grown if cloves are kept for replanting. The same friend was devastated when kids burnt down his shed which had his stock of "acclimatised" garlic and shallots in. I did say "I bet the smell was nice" - but he could not see the funny side.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2010, 09:15 »
the thing you must remember is if you are on an allotment site you don't really want to be the one that introduces any nasties...  :(

Read, mark, learn and inwardly digest.

It is not without good reason that we have certified seed.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

bluelou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2010, 13:17 »
Thanks for the help. I think i am going to use some from a supermarket and some solent white from garden centre and see what happens. I will let you know the out come. ::)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2010, 13:50 »
bluelou - even if you ignore me, I ask that you read again what Galen posted.

fletcherbaker

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2010, 17:36 »
As a newbie i went to the local garden center and was in total shock at the 2 pound plus price tag of 3 bulbs of garlic :blink:!So decided against this !Now after reading the posts here am i right in thinking the only downfall of me planting supermarket garlic is the risk of spreading disease beacause if it is im growing this in my garden and are nowhere near anyone else who grows anything ???

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2010, 17:40 »
As I previously wrote, fletcherbaker, the other risk is that you won't have a variety which is sufficiently hardy or otherwise suitable for our climate.

Mediterranean varieties prefer more warmth and/or less wet.  I also don't know whether they are suitable for growing at this time of year for harvest later this year.

So there are other risks.

Even if you're prepared to take the risk with garlic, please NEVER use supermarket spuds instead of certified seed tubers.  The risks there are much greater.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

fletcherbaker

• Experienced Member
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2010, 17:49 »
Ill take your advice on board :D well ill plant a few cloves and see what happens if nothing then ill know!I wouldnt plant supermarket spuds i believe seed spuds are cheap enough to buy!

xx
When is Garlic ready to be used as Green Garlic?

Started by Headgardener22 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 01, 2012, 12:55
by arugula
clip
Elephant garlic or ordinary garlic

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 14, 2022, 13:46
by cc
xx
Elephant Garlic / Garlic

Started by dapper on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 28, 2009, 08:25
by dapper
xx
A good day.

Started by Pompey Spud on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 22, 2008, 20:06
by debbiedoll

Page created in 0.642 seconds with 37 queries.