What pans do you use on your woodburner top?

• 46 Replies

fengirl

Re: What pans do you use on your woodburner top?
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2010, 22:16 »
We use L/C and had them for years, Lamb shanks cooking handy for hot water and keeping the coffee warm :happy:

Hi I'm new to the forum, have just had a woodburner installed .I have been looking into buying a whistling kettle. I contacted the le creuset people and they said they hadn't tested any of their kettles on woodburning stoves and couldnt guarantee that they would be suitable. But I notice you have a kone kettle on the back of your stove.  They also told me that if I used one I would most likely have to put a trivet underneath.  I am so confused and don't know  what type to buy. Do they have to have a heavy base like aga or prestige?
Please could anyone give me some advise.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2010, 22:23 »
Hi fengirl, I've got a Le Creusot whistling kettle that I use on my woodburner in the winter!  It's wonderful, but at first you keep saying to yourself, I can hear a whistling noise!!!    :lol: :lol:  Then you remember its the kettle!

But when we got it, it did say suitable for any surface!

fengirl

« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2010, 22:35 »
thank you grannie annie for replying. I think the le creuset people are just covering themselves.   
I want to be able to  cook on the stove as well. We have only just got it installed, and been busy chopping logs all summer long.

Spana

« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2010, 11:15 »
Yeh, i put my le creuset cone kettle and casseroles on mine,  no problems so far after about 8years  :)

fengirl

« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2010, 13:34 »
 Grannie annie , I got myself a le creuset kettle, we have had the woodburner on for the last few evenings . We are burning wood only. The clip in boiler heats up the hot water tank and we have hot water till the next day.  The water doesn't reach boiling point on the stove. I so wanted to hear it whistle. (Perhaps its because we have a clip in boiler inside)

I finished cooking off some stew also.   Next on my wish list is a coffee percolator!

compostqueen

« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2010, 13:40 »
I love my woodburner but it's in my lounge and it's not meant for cooking on but if it's hot it seems a waste not to  :) 

I can't sit in my lounge and not light it as I can't bear looking at it unlit. The room is not right and I can't relax  :D

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2010, 13:44 »
Hi Fengirl, perhaps it is the clip in boiler that reduces the heat from your woodburner! shame, its nice to hear the whistling of the kettle!   :(

CQ, my woodburner is in the lounge too!  And yes, isn't meant for cooking on, but as it has a flat top and is free heat, why not?  I don't mind if the lounge smells like a nice hot stew or something! lol.  Emphasis on the word FREE!!    A little bit more money we are not paying the utility companies!!   :lol: :lol:

I can't use ours at the moment as every time you light it, you can smell the smoke.  I think when they re-fitted it last year to bring it up to standards, they haven't sealed something porperly, but we have a man coming out next Thursday to sort it out!  I've got my little logs ready!!!

fengirl

« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2010, 20:54 »
Mine is in the lounge also. CQ  we have only had it going the last few days. Just a normal woodburner with a large flat top. I agree with grannie annie about FREE!!! after seeing our last lecky bill. 

I just wish I had a little oven at the side too.

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2010, 23:32 »
Oh, not being greedy like!!??   :D :D

compostqueen

« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2010, 23:58 »
I usually light it and get the logs in as OH makes such a mess I'd rather do it myself  :D

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2010, 10:07 »
Not only does Brian make more mess than me, but it takes him so long to light it as he won't use kindling!  Just puts the logs on top of the scrunched up newpapers!!!

So its quicker if I do it!!!!    :D :D

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2010, 20:31 »
i fancy a falcom blue coffee pot has anyone used this brand on a wood stove please?
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

Mosslane

• andjakemakes3
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2010, 19:42 »
Can't believe how much you can do with a woodburner - even a little one like ours. Today beside the kettle being on all day, I have cooked some small beetroots, used the warmth of the hearth to prove 2 loaves, roasted some chestnuts and of course had a warm house. All from one basket of small logs.
The reward of a thing well done is to have done it....

chisel

« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2010, 20:01 »
Got ours banging away as i type,ive not cooked on it as yet but i have got a nice little coffee perculator i use on it.
The smell of fresh coffee and a nice warm house cant be beaten,very welcoming i must say.

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2010, 00:08 »
Just think when armageddon comes, if we survive, we'll be okay, At least we'll be warm and most of us now know how to grow our own stuff as long as we have a good stock of seeds and some of us can raise our own meat.  Brian will be worth his weight in gold being able to kill and gut as he does!!!   :lol:

xx
Jam Pans

Started by n.b83 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

15 Replies
Last post March 30, 2009, 21:35
by sunshineband
xx
Which pans?

Started by Janeymiddlewife on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post June 23, 2011, 07:07
by Janeymiddlewife
xx
jam pans and sugar!

Started by sooboo on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post July 22, 2011, 11:13
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Patty Pans

Started by Ema on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post September 06, 2013, 09:12
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 29 queries.