What pans do you use on your woodburner top?

• 46 Replies

Mosslane

• andjakemakes3
What pans do you use on your woodburner top?
« on: February 24, 2010, 14:07 »
Yippee - We have just had the go ahead to have a woodburner installed.

I would like to have a kettle and some type of stew pan to use on the top of it and wonder what people recommend. I believe cast iron is the best but just wanted to know what others use.
The reward of a thing well done is to have done it....

Poolfield2

Re: What pans do you use on your woodburner top?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 14:28 »
An old le Cruset if it is for long slow cooking but I use a camping type kettle if I want it to come to the boil quickly for a brew.

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 14:39 »
I have a new woodburner too but I've not had a kettle on it yet or checked out cooking on it as I've been too busy trying to keep it looking good  :D  Logs tastefully arranged each side and underneath.  Buffing it with my cuffs  :D  I do use it though unlike some folk who just have them to look at apparently. They don't actually use them as "they make dust"  :nowink:

I think a cast iron Dutch oven pan would be good. I've got a Le C pan but they're thin and tend to burn. Well, mine does  :)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 16:17 »
I bought a Le Cruesot kettle 2 years ago to use on mine, it did say fine for solid plates like Aga's, but I use my ordinary saucepans on it too, haven't melted anything yet, although you have to make sure any plastic type handles don't hang over the woodburner.  They get hot!

Torreya

• http://ashfurlongwalledkitchengarden.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 19:29 »
We've had an AGA since Noah was a kid, and I use 'normal' pans, plus some LeC left to me by mom, they all work quite well, although do remember, LeC are heavy even before you put anything in them!!

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 08:17 »
Hi Mosslane, I have no cooking on a range experience to bring to this conversation, but I just wanted to send you a grin  :D for getting the go ahead for your range. Now you can keep toasty warm! :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Mosslane

• andjakemakes3
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 14:28 »
Thanks for all the input and thank you Argyllie for the grin. Just been to pick out our new stove and we are still grinning. Will make our little cottage seem even more oldy worldy, can't wait.

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 14:35 »
Oh go on then, which one are you getting?  :)

Mosslane

• andjakemakes3
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 14:43 »
It is only a woodburner not a proper oven stove thing but there is enough room on the top for a kettle or a pan. I would love one with an oven but there isn't the space or budget I'm afraid. We have gone for a Franco Belge make as we liked the styling better than the Aga one.

We live in an estate cottage so had to get permission first as it means reopening an old fireplace up ,which reportedly had a proper stove in it years ago :(

We got used to woodburners and stoves when touring Eastern Europe and feel it is a better kind of heat, can't stand central heating and as ours is oil it costs a bomb. This woodburner will pay for itself in about 3 years with the saving in oil.

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 14:53 »
Very nice Mosslane. :) Our house had a sad little Rayburn in the kitchen when we came here but it would have disintegrated into a rusty heap if you had sneezed near it, so we had to take it out and I have conventional ( ???) cooking.  ::) We did install a multifuel in place of the open fire in the lounge though......  :D

Spana

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 15:40 »
We  have a flat top wood burner and its great.  The flue goes up through our bedroom floor and that keep the upstairs warm.  We very rarely run the central heating.  Only trouble is getting the logs from out of our woods as its been so wet here the last three years and the thought of paying for wood to burn gives me the trembles :lol:
If i cook on it i use Le Creuset casseroles and kettle :)

Hope you're pleased with it , i think you will be.  Remember to save the wood ash for the garden. :)

Mosslane

• andjakemakes3
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 16:30 »
OH John has already asked for 2 galvanised buckets for the ash. He loves all the fire lighting etc. (I sometimes think he is a secret pyromaniac) :D

It is his 65th birthday this year, I don't suppose I can get away with the buckets as his present!!!!!!!!!!!!

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010, 16:45 »
OH John has already asked for 2 galvanised buckets for the ash. He loves all the fire lighting etc. (I sometimes think he is a secret pyromaniac) :D

It is his 65th birthday this year, I don't suppose I can get away with the buckets as his present!!!!!!!!!!!!

Perhaps if you tie a nice blue ribbon bow around the handle Mosslane? :D

Spana

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2010, 16:49 »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Its my 65th as well this year and i have asked for a can crusher for the recycling so i think 2 galvanised buckets sounds like the  sort of thing a 65year old would like for their birthday. :lol:

Edited to add, perhaps a dustbin would give him more scope :lol:

Snoop

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2010, 11:35 »
I have a really old -fashioned woodburning stove (they call it an 'económico here). I didn't buy any special cookware but just carried on using my stainless steel pans and have even used a terracotta casserole on the coolest part of the top (furthest away from the firebox). I love it. Who needs a vitroceramic top with one of these?

xx
Jam Pans

Started by n.b83 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

15 Replies
Last post March 30, 2009, 21:35
by sunshineband
xx
Which pans?

Started by Janeymiddlewife on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post June 23, 2011, 07:07
by Janeymiddlewife
xx
jam pans and sugar!

Started by sooboo on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post July 22, 2011, 11:13
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Patty Pans

Started by Ema on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post September 06, 2013, 09:12
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.222 seconds with 36 queries.