What have you planted already?

• 110 Replies

Paul Plots

Re: What have you planted already?
« Reply #75 on: February 28, 2010, 12:26 »
Sweet peas in pots (soaked first) and up in two days!  :)

Nothing else as I am miles behind according to my last year's diary  ::)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

kingdhesiii

• Experienced Member
« Reply #76 on: March 06, 2010, 18:23 »
Only onion sets and broad beans in pots.
Busy at the moment with work, Leeds footy games on weekends. Not getting a lot of time tbh.
What should be sowed now?
Woooooooooooooo

tassie

« Reply #77 on: March 06, 2010, 18:55 »
Shallot sets
Garlic
Broad bean-started indoors now planted out.
Early peas-started indoors now planted out.
Calabrese
Broccoli-summer purple sprouting
Onion seed-Paris silverskin-intersown
Radishes-intersown

Cloch protection and prewarmed soil.

mandycharlie

• Experienced Member
    • Blossom and Sunshine
« Reply #78 on: March 06, 2010, 21:06 »
Five varieties of potatoes chitting,
Shallots and garlic,

in the greenhouse,
brussel sprouts, spring cabbage, onion seed, onions sets, broad beans, lots of peas, sweet peas, lettuce.

at home,
several varieties of tomatoes, chilli's.

hubby is preparing the soil so carrots, parsnips and radish should get sown in the next day or so.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #79 on: March 06, 2010, 21:11 »
MC!!

Long time no see. How's things?? (Diverts thread).
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Paul Plots

« Reply #80 on: March 07, 2010, 00:02 »
Broad beans (The Sutton) a-soaking and pots ready.... ;)

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #81 on: March 07, 2010, 00:07 »
I wish we like BBs

I could make an earlier start on things  :(
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Paul Plots

« Reply #82 on: March 07, 2010, 00:10 »
I wish we like BBs

I could make an earlier start on things  :(

If you are keen to get growing why not stick a few BB seeds in and use them for swaps?

Just a thought  ;)

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #83 on: March 07, 2010, 00:18 »
Because most people at lotty site have already started them off, impatient like me!

Definitely worth a thought for giving out at work though........thanks Learner!

digalotty

« Reply #84 on: March 07, 2010, 10:05 »
i have seven variety's of spuds chitting on indoor window sills and  thats it but i am about to start off some beans tomatoes and i am looking for a a nice decorative chilli plant to grow indoors ,  :)
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

kitch

« Reply #85 on: March 07, 2010, 11:18 »
This time last year had allsorts on the go 1st early spuds had been in the ground for three weeks, got to say i'am sick of this winter in the stalls to start planting every thing can't wait

andtiggertoo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #86 on: March 07, 2010, 11:35 »
Kingdhesiii I am not too far from you and i don't have any seeds planted out yet, we had a severe frost last night so am glad about that. ( Actually I had sown some spinach early carrots and winter lettuce under a cloche about 3 weeks ago and I think they perished, so I am not counting them :lol:).

I have got onions, shallots, and garlic that i planted as sets last autumn, they do fine right through the icy winter. I also have rocket & pak choi which I planted end of last summer from little plants in the sale from B&Q. The rocket has kept going really well right through winter, pak choi has survived but not grown much.

Seed wise I have a litter tray of leeks, some calebrese, cardoons ( can be eaten but I grow for onamental purposes) and I have 6 types of spuds chitting. All of these are indoors. I have been putting the calebrese and leeks outside over the last few days and bringing in over night.

I have just got a new seed house ( unheated and cross between a coldframe and greenhouse), i am no expert so I am wondering when or if i should put the leeks and calebrese in the seed house. I should really get a max/min thermometer so i can gauge when it will be frost free overnight. I think I have read on here that it has to be 5c or above for seeds but i might have misunderstood.

I was thinking of planting my spuds out at easter, they are only vulnerable to frost when they push through the surface of the soil which would be a few weeks later.

I am thinking about sowing a few seeds of the following over next week or so, indoors  tomatoes ( outdoor vars), and hot peppers. In the seed house beetroot, celabrese, coriander,parsley and red cabbage. Directly into beds early carrots, spring onions and salads under cloche ( spinach, cos, and mixed salad bowl).

Good luck with what you sow

Paul Plots

« Reply #87 on: March 07, 2010, 12:54 »
Down here in the sunny south I am being patient..... temperatures in general are way below last years so I see no point in rushing things... It'll all catch up once the warmer weather kicks in.

Last year I had to mow the lawn at least twice by mid March - this year the mower is having a longer rest  ;)

mandycharlie

• Experienced Member
    • Blossom and Sunshine
« Reply #88 on: March 07, 2010, 13:13 »
MC!!

Long time no see. How's things?? (Diverts thread).

Hiya Dave, *waving*

Glad to see your still here, I thought I'd wander into the Allotment chat for a while.  Oooh last year was not good health wise, one catastrophe after another.  I'm just about recovered from the broken ribs from the pneumonia over November and December...   My favourite saying at the moment is.. "For Gods sake don't ask Mandy how she is...... she just might tell ya!"

It was cold last night wasn't it, I recorded -3 in my greenhouse.   We have two plots now, mad fools that we are, the second plot is not up to scratch yet, but it will be.  I still enjoy my allotments, I've knitted ALOT of socks (which keep me wonderfully warm) ... started a knitting group in my home town which has over twenty five members..   Its quite amusing actually, the high end gastro pub that we meet in thought they were going to have just a few women knitting in the corner,  we have completely flumoxed them, they have no idea what its all about.  I've starting to run knitting workshops by asking extremely talented women that have published books if they will have a workshop for us and we have one talented lady coming to see us in June and plans on the way for another.   The knitting will take second place as the weather gets warmer.

I'm loving my plots and am just about to wander up there.  Hubby and son no. 1 are rotovating as we speak.. (its a manly bonding thing!)

How's you my old fruit???

Faz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #89 on: March 07, 2010, 17:20 »
We've just planted some chilli and tom seeds and put some spuds in bags in the greenhouse, thats it so far. Got all sorts of stuff waiting in the wings :)

xx
ive just planted/set....

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post October 14, 2007, 22:34
by gobs
xx
Why can't some veg be planted near each other?

Started by Kagganz on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 09, 2009, 16:06
by Kagganz
xx
what can be planted now?

Started by evie2 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 30, 2010, 21:12
by RosieMay
xx
What have you planted already????

Started by Tommy54321 on Grow Your Own

37 Replies
Last post April 04, 2021, 10:03
by jaxter

Page created in 0.892 seconds with 30 queries.