broccoli insect munching

• 27 Replies

Jeanieblue

• Experienced Member
broccoli insect munching
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2007, 19:20 »
Well, that answers my question too. I've loads of tiny holes in some of my collards - and did see some little black beetles lurking about. I thought I'd leave the plants in to see if they recovered. Or should I pull them out and re plant with spares?
Still glowing, still growing, still going strong!

Oliver

keep the fleece on ...
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2007, 09:22 »
Quote from: "lanky lurcher"
:D ... just one more question, do i keep the fleece on the plants right through til harvest time? cheers deb

Yes, she does (see picture) rocket etc under fleece.
Keep the plot cultivated, that's the best way to ensure its future.

Oliver

... again about fleabeetles ...
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2007, 09:37 »
Quote from: "Jeanieblue"
... loads of tiny holes in some of my collards - and did see some little black beetles lurking about. I thought I'd leave the plants in to see if they recovered. Or should I pull them out and re plant with spares?

what are collards - this southerner don't know what they are!
If, however, they are brassicas, then the answer is:
flea beetles hop and usually clear off as you approach.

• Cabbages, sprouts, all the big stuff - do nothing. They will recover
• Rocket and mustard related leaves where you eat the leaves - If they are not to holey, eat them, If they are, ditch them and start again, covering with fleece from the off - from the day you sow them. its no use covering them once they appear aboe ground as the fleabeetle is aread there and will be as happy under the fleece as larry.
black beetles? what were they on, and how big are they?

Jeanieblue

• Experienced Member
broccoli insect munching
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2007, 20:44 »
My allotment neighbour gets collard seed from the USA. They grow like big leafy cabbages. They're what were cooked up to make a 'mess o greens'  I think an American Deep South dish - rather like our spring greens. They're really delicious. You you can cut and come again with them all through the winter when there's not much else about.  I've caught those little black beetles again - wondered if I ought to get some derris powder or whatever.

Oliver

Collards = borecole
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2007, 22:19 »
... They grow like big leafy cabbages. They're what were cooked up to make a 'mess o greens'   .... spring greens
Thanks for that.
We are now at a loss - you eat the leaves of your collards (her borecole - yes, she is growing this stuff - variety 'Redbor') and if they get attacked by flea beetle (which eat the leaves), then it won't look so good. But I think curly kale is the same sort of stuff, and we had loads and loads earlier this year - it got plenty of whitefly which were washed off before we ate it, but no flea beetle - so perhaps flea beetles are not active in the winter? So perhaps just leave the collards to develop and the flea beetle will eat the younger leaves, but as the plant grows the new leaves will be OK?

What does your allotment neighbour do about them beetles?
 :shock: O

Jeanieblue

• Experienced Member
broccoli insect munching
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2007, 13:21 »
He uses fly spray !!!   I've been down with a solution of washing up liquid and given them a good spray so will see what that does.  Good luck with your kale, I need to get mine planted.

Oliver

Borecole (colloards!)
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2007, 17:37 »
He uses fly spray !!!     ....  Good luck with your kale, I need to get mine planted.

Gosh! Fly spray! Never heard of that :shock:

We potted up our kale today - 5 plants. Well, that should be enough, what with all the other stuff ...
 :?
O

Jeanieblue

• Experienced Member
broccoli insect munching
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2007, 19:50 »
Well the washing up liquid didn't work, even though I did tops and undersides of the leaves.

Oliver

broccoli insect munching
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2007, 22:31 »
Well the washing up liquid didn't work, even though I did tops and undersides of the leaves.

Oh dear. well, never mind, don't think your plants will suffer much unless the infestation is very heavy. As soon as the plants get bigger the fleabeetles will be off to look for something tenderer.

Ours are still whole (still in the nursery), but maybe all that will change when they get planted out in their final positions.
Night night
O

Jeanieblue

• Experienced Member
broccoli insect munching
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2007, 06:59 »
Thanks, Oliver - will just have to wait and see. Have been down and festooned the bed with string and carrier bag 'prayer flags' so at least the pigeons will be scared off - and maybe it'll frighten those flea beetles too  !!   :?

Oliver

Pigeons!!!
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2007, 11:25 »
Thanks, Oliver - will just have to wait and see. Have been down and festooned the bed with string and carrier bag 'prayer flags' so at least the pigeons will be scared off - and maybe it'll frighten those flea beetles too  !!   :?

She has been trying to cultivate a taste in pigeons in me but, shudder, I am pleased to say without any luck! So it's a wise move festooning with bags (and CD's also appear to work - although they were NICKED (!!!) from the plot last year. Why, I ask myself) - those pesky birds will eat nice tender green leaves, even with fleabeetle holes. but NOTHING scares a fleabeetle - they just jump off and  come back when you have gone past!
Good luck with your collards.

She is off to plant her sweet peas (before it rains, again) - a bit late, but perhaps they will flower later. She usually sows them in September and plants them out in March but this year things have rather got the better of her ... Olly

Jeanieblue

• Experienced Member
broccoli insect munching
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2007, 15:06 »
SHE being 'her outdoors' as opposed to 'her indoors, I presume !!!   Hope her sweetpeas do well, mine are coming on, slowly. Racing the runner beans up our garage wall.  Re CDs on allotment, I guess while the pigeons are playing them, they aren't eating your greens !!!   Let's hope we all all have better luck with the brassicas in the coming weeks.

Oliver

Identification -
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2007, 17:06 »
SHE being 'her outdoors' as opposed to 'her indoors, I presume  ...

I am The Cat who keeps an eye on things from the shed roof ...

xx
what's munching my cabbages

Started by Janeymiddlewife on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 13, 2008, 23:14
by Janeymiddlewife
xx
Someone is munching my seedlings! HELP!

Started by Nadlen on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 05, 2011, 21:46
by Nadlen
angry
something's been munching on my peas!

Started by Lottie Mary on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 21, 2011, 08:24
by Lottie Mary
xx
something has been munching my brassicas

Started by disasterdave on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 20, 2011, 20:34
by prakash_mib

Page created in 0.667 seconds with 36 queries.