goji berries

• 4 Replies

TinaD

goji berries
« on: February 12, 2010, 18:42 »
this is a message for Mike who kindly said he'd send me some goji berry plants - I've not been on the site for ages and can't reply to your message, though I can read it.  Maybe you can message me again with your email address and I can reply directly?

sorry about this.
TinaD

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: goji berries
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 18:51 »
Try a PM again, Tina.

You may be OK now.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mickeyboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 20:45 »
sorry to hijack this topic but last year my goji plant was covered in a white substance on the leaves. It rubbed off ok but kept coming back!! does anyone know what this maybe and how to treat it, there is no sign of it now however.
Also i have put mine in a tall pot in a sunny position and all that happened last year was it flowered they fell off then nothing. Anty ideas?
Also should they be trained up some trllis or just left hanging man..
Thanks for anyones help and advice :) :)
mickeyboy
new to this, so all help and advice is greatly appreciated and well needed!!

Tattyanne456

• Experienced Member
  • who says I only grow Mickey Mouse potatoes!
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 13:10 »
I suspect it was powdery mildew(?) Not sure what you would treat it with tho. I wonder if the flowers fell off as they were not pollinated if they are grown indoors. you could try hand pollination with a small brush., or by touching the flowers together.

hightide

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 23:08 »
sorry to hijack this topic but last year my goji plant was covered in a white substance on the leaves. It rubbed off ok but kept coming back!! does anyone know what this maybe and how to treat it, there is no sign of it now however.
Also i have put mine in a tall pot in a sunny position and all that happened last year was it flowered they fell off then nothing. Anty ideas?
Also should they be trained up some trllis or just left hanging man..
Thanks for anyones help and advice :) :)
mickeyboy

Mickeyboy

I also had this substance on my plants - it did not cause any damage as far as I can see.
The reason your flowers did not ripen is probably because the plant is too young/not enough nutrient in the soil. The plant will not produce a decent crop until it is between three and five years old. Although suppliers claim Goji will grow in any old soil, I think better results will be obtained from your pot if you feed twice a year, early spring with a high nitrogen content to encourage growth and mid summer with a low nitrogen, good phosphorous content to encourage buds flowers and berries.
I don't think letting it grow up a trellis will work, this allows fast growing laterals with a lot of wood and very few leaf buds - no flowers. It would be better if you pruned to get a tree bush shape, something like a small willow. Be ruthless do not allow any suckers or low growth, trim laterals to about two to three feet and make sure the laterals don't touch the ground.  One thing don't touch the berries with your fingers while they are green, they will turn black instead of red! 
A weed is a plant that's in the wrong place and intends to stay

xx
Goji Berries

Started by LilacSandy on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 07, 2011, 21:48
by Totty
xx
Goji Berries?

Started by antwilk on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 07, 2010, 17:10
by savbo
xx
goji berries

Started by griff on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post December 27, 2009, 20:57
by hightide
xx
Goji Berries

Started by GreenOwl on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 07, 2008, 13:35
by GreenOwl

Page created in 0.737 seconds with 28 queries.