goji berries

• 7 Replies

griff

goji berries
« on: December 13, 2009, 20:27 »
Any one  grown goji berries Planted two three years ago first year they just survived then the last two years grown well. But they grew like a carpet close to the ground.Do i prune them back to try to get them to shoot upwards or do i put up some trellis and tie them in. They haven't flowered in the three years any ideas how long you have to wait for them to flower.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Re: goji berries
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 21:34 »
We have 1 plant but only got it this year, try this link it may help
http://www.victoriananursery.co.uk/exotic_fruits/goji_berry/
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

savbo

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 11:23 »
we were given 3 tiny ones (offer in guardian I think) and the slugs ate them to bits. Just got 3 more from Parkers and they look much better, going to grow them on in pots and plant out in spring.

The blurb we read says they grow 3m tall! But I also realised I knew these plants of old - their more traditional name is Duke of Argyll's Tea Plant/Tree, and they grow (grew? not been over for years) wild on Hilbre Island in the Dee estuary, where they make a dense block of growth on the cliff top. I think they must ramble, and so while the stems are long they need some support... I'll be growing ours on horizontal wires....

MS

griff

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 19:40 »
Thanks for your replies i will put up some posts and horizontal wires and see how i get on.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 22:28 »
Just read Joe Swift's allotment book and it says that there is something on these plants that can spread on the allotments and to check on the Defra site about them. He pulled his out because of this :(

griff

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 00:17 »
Got in touch with defra three years ago they said it only applied to plants coming in from other countries. The ones from UK growers were OK

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 12:24 »
Well that's all ok then :happy:

hightide

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2009, 20:57 »
Griff Hi,

There is a lot of rubbish spouted about Goji berry even from UK suppliers! I found a Chinese American reseller of Goji products who has got detailed instructions on how to cultivate Lycium Barbarum (me showing off!) from seed and cuttings, which should answer your questions.  :D

The PDF file is too big to attach here, but you can download it from; www.fountainofyouth-gojiseed.com - just click on 'download page'

I bought mine from T&M as one year cuttings, the instructions were next to useless, after reading this information I now know what I need to grow them properly! Sorry guys I tried to grow them along horizontal wires like Blackberry, it doesn't work they need to be grown as a tree or tree bush.
A weed is a plant that's in the wrong place and intends to stay

xx
Goji-Berries

Started by AndyRVTR on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 15, 2009, 13:06
by Duracell
xx
Goji Berries

Started by carlrmj on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post October 15, 2014, 17:42
by hightide
xx
Goji Berries

Started by LilacSandy on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 07, 2011, 21:48
by Totty
xx
Goji Berries?

Started by antwilk on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 07, 2010, 17:10
by savbo

Page created in 0.437 seconds with 38 queries.