Rising prices on allotments

• 6 Replies

Christine

Rising prices on allotments
« on: February 10, 2010, 08:12 »
I don't think that it's just Growmore that is rising in price as mentioned elsewhere. Over the last season it's been noticeable that a lot of the non organic chemicals have risen in price across the board. It's been blamed on the high price of oil affecting the manufacturing costs as so many things that are sold by garden centres and such are by products of the petro-chemical industry.

This is going to put pressure on all those sources of free items that we gain from many sources - manure from the local stables, chicken and pigeon poo, leaves to sweep up for composting, friends who want to start their own compost heap rather than give us items for our one down the allotment .....

I wonder if people will suddenly realise that they can sell those plant pots at car boot sales rather than give them away on freecycle along with all those oddments that we now scrounge free.

I'd not be surprised to see an all round rise in the price of seeds as well.

It could suddenly make allotment holding somewhat more expensive by a considerable degree no matter how little we seek to use chemicals.

madcat

Re: Rising prices on allotments
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 08:16 »
But then - veggies are going up in price too.  It is just life that is getting more expensive ..  :(  oil, banks, labour costs, taxes ....  all rising and the end consumer picks up the tab.   I will now stop, before this has a chance to get political.  For those of us in the UK, we are going to get politics up to our eyeballs in the next few months!!   ::)
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 10:43 »
I don't think manure from stables will be a problem to be honest, one of my patients has to pay £15 a ton to have it removed, he glady gives it away, if he charged for it then demand would drop to a point where he is again having to pay for it to be taken away so really its not in his interest.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

little sweetpeas

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 11:12 »
I don't think manure from stables will be a problem to be honest, one of my patients has to pay £15 a ton to have it removed, he glady gives it away, if he charged for it then demand would drop to a point where he is again having to pay for it to be taken away so really its not in his interest.

A farmer friend has an organic beef farm and charge all the allotments in the area £20 for a trailer load or £30 for 3.5 tonnes.

Even making deliveries everyweek all year round he's still always got three huge piles on the go. HE's kept it these prices for at least 4 years

We're happy with the price and he's happy he gets about £3500 a year from the manure and told me that he could do with a few more orders to rid of the stuff.
Try my best to be Organic but don't always make it

cob nut

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 13:10 »
At our alloment site we get regular deliveries of horse manure free of charge, huge trailer loads of it  :)

NigelB

• Experienced Member
    • Pictures from the garden and greenhouse..
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 19:37 »
 Hi Christine. :)
Interesting questions..
The part that caught my eye though, was the following:.....

I wonder if people will suddenly realise that they can sell those plant pots at car boot sales rather than give them away on freecycle along with all those oddments that we now scrounge free.

I suspect freecycle has a 'hard'-core of followers that are into the freecycle lifestyle, and almost any amount of rises in fuel prices won't stop them giving stuff to each other.
Much in the same vein as car-booters.,. You see them out in all weather, neck-deep in mud, with horizontal rain bouncing off their frozen faces, saying 'I'll give you 50p for it, if you'll carry it to the car'.
Freecyclers swap-stuff-and-meet-people. It's part of the package. It's what they do.
;)

Elaine G

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 23:53 »
There is a notice appeared at our site offering manure delivered for £60 for a trailer!
Way out of my league.

Elaine
The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet - James Oppenheim

xx
Rising seed prices

Started by Christine on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post April 25, 2014, 14:53
by Christine
xx
Asparagus rising

Started by corynsboy on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 03, 2010, 17:38
by Kristen
xx
manure prices

Started by acwid on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 14, 2011, 16:47
by AndyRVTR
xx
Pumpkin Prices ?

Started by Bodger on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post October 25, 2007, 10:00
by gobs

Page created in 0.666 seconds with 36 queries.