cucumber question?

• 23 Replies

Brassica Blaz

• Experienced Member
cucumber question?
« on: February 08, 2010, 15:20 »
hi everyone .just set my self up with a green house,(yippee!!).and i will be having a go at toms ,aubergines & cues.i have a few packets of cucumber seeds (marketmore&muncher) outdoor varietys .i wondered if i can still grow these in the green house even though they are outdoor varietys.not to sure you see. :unsure: any advice would be appreceiated thanks.

Shadrak

Re: cucumber question?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 16:23 »
Yes you can,But lm sure you could find some better varietys for the greenhouse.

gardener247

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 16:29 »
ya you'll get a better crop, when do you sow cucumber seeds as a matter of interest??

Shadrak

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 16:39 »
I go with April sowing's could be abit later if the weather dont heat up abit..

goodegg

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 17:21 »
i was going to plant mine this weekend but they have forecast snow for us this week so i mite have to wait my toms are about 2 ins tall. and you would be better with indoor cues for the greehouse i grow burpless tasty green,but i have grown indoor ones as well but they are not as long as the indoor ones.

savbo

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 18:19 »
I grew long green ridge in the ghouse after buying the wrong seeds - did OK but quite a few were bitter...

Brassica Blaz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 18:42 »
thanks for the advice folks.i think i,ll buy some g/house cukes.can anyone recommend any reliable ones? :)

janet12000

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 19:08 »
I bought a kit if cucumber seeds from poundland, with a mini propagator and compost included. Basically it was just for something for Jacob to do on a wet afternoon. :D Never expected them to germinate but all 6 seeds have.
Gawd only knows what the variety is!

Fisherman

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 19:17 »
As there are only two of us I wanted to grow smaller cucumbers and tried MiniMunch from Unwins. They were sown in late march and 4 out of 6 seeds were grown on in grow bags in the greenhouse. I had more than enough cucumbers through to late September and we eat a lot of cucumber. I will be trying them again this year.

Definitely worth a try.

realfood

• Experienced Member
    • Grow Your Own Info
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010, 19:20 »
All-female F1 varieties.  This is a new type of Cucumber which is revolutionising the cultivation of Cucumbers. Unfortunately the seed is very expensive, but the results that are coming in, make the cost worthwhile. As the name suggests, they usually produce only female flowers, doing away with any pollination problems. Occasionally, some all-female varieties produce a few male flowers which should be promptly removed. This may happen if they have been stressed.

The advantage of all-female varieties is that they are very prolific usually producing many smaller cucumbers of a useful size. There is no danger of bitter cucumbers. They also tend to be resistant to disease.

I have seen some claims that they require a heated greenhouse, but some varieties have been perfectly happy in my cool, unheated greenhouse.

Suggested varieties of all-female cucumbers.

Passandra F1. 15 cm long fruits. The plants have good resistance to powdery mildew.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010, 19:29 »
I bought a kit if cucumber seeds from poundland, with a mini propagator and compost included. Basically it was just for something for Jacob to do on a wet afternoon. :D Never expected them to germinate but all 6 seeds have.
Gawd only knows what the variety is!

You're rather early, Janet. What are you going to do with them until they can go out?
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

janet12000

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2010, 19:50 »
Lol DD :)

The answer is probably nothing! I have left it up to Jacob as to what happens to them.

Jacob (10) just wanted something to do, and the kit kept him busy for an afternoon learning how to plant seeds, and he's been looking after them on his window ledge.  :)

If nothing else he will learn not to plant cucumbers in February!

He enjoyed getting his hands mucky and planting stuff  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2010, 19:51 »
thanks for the advice folks.i think i,ll buy some g/house cukes.can anyone recommend any reliable ones? :)

Do you want to grow cues about 8 inches long or the long ones? So many to choose from  :)

Epona_4

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2010, 21:00 »
last year i grew one plant of marketmore and one of socrates, both in the greenhouse and both fantastic crops! in fact friends and neighbours were avoiding me because everyone was full to the gills with cucumbers! i even at one point i toyed with cucumber jam! lol

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2010, 21:40 »
You should have pickled some...yum :)

xx
Cucumber question

Started by fletch on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 06, 2007, 21:34
by muntjac
xx
Another cucumber question.

Started by Russell Atterbury on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 27, 2020, 09:20
by Russell Atterbury
xx
cucumber question

Started by chickchick on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 30, 2008, 22:10
by chickchick
xx
Cucumber question

Started by fallen angel on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 01, 2011, 16:18
by fallen angel

Page created in 0.865 seconds with 38 queries.