The price of spuds...

• 10 Replies

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
The price of spuds...
« on: February 01, 2010, 08:51 »
Ullo, long time no post...  :)

I picked up my seed potatoes yesterday and just wanted to ask: are Wilko's prices as good as it gets? It seemed very cheap at £2.97 for a 3kg bag.

I'm still very new and, for the second year running, I suspect with 3kg each of earlies, 2nd earlies and maincrop, I may have over-bought a bit...

There didn't seem an awful lot of variety, mind.

Onion sets seemed great value too.

madcat

Re: The price of spuds...
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 08:57 »
Wilkos at  99p a kg seems to be the bottom, going by what people are saying on this board.  Poundshop are about the same or a bit more, weight for weight, but not like for like.  Independent garden centres (and my fav hardware store) are going at £1.25 ish a kg for choose your own (rather than prepacked bags).  Then onwards and upwards from there ...
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 09:00 »
You'll find it difficult to beat those prices, but as you say the range is limited, that's how they keep the price down, buying a lot of a few varieties.

My local nursery charge £1.25 a kilo, (£1 a kilo for over 10kg), but they offer a choice over over 90 different varieties and you can buy exactly the number you want.

As for over buying, depends how much ground you have set aside for them. Can't tell you what they were weight wise, but I've got over 290 seed spuds to put in.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

scabs

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 09:02 »
Cheers Madcat, I've not really checked the board out much recently.  :wub:

As I say, it seemed incredibly cheap to me having spent last week brousing numerous seed catalogues.

Mind you, last year I got over half my crop for free. Needless to say, I am watching Mr Fothergill like a hawk.  ;)

Also needless to say, should another free spud opportunity arise, I will reporty back sharpish!  :D

scabs

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 09:05 »
Hi Dave,

Yeah, I'll double up on what I grew last year but, with the few varieties I intend to do in tubs/tyres, there will definitely be a load over. Mind you, at those prices, I have already been onto one of my mates and promised him a bunch of each!

As you say, it's a get what you pay for thing, I guess.

:)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 09:56 »
I usually pay £3 to £3.50 for mine at the garden centre for 3kgs, but I don't know about Poundland being cheap.  Went in there last week and yes theirs were £1 (strangely enough!) but the bags only weighed 200gms!  Couldn't see any bigger bags

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 10:42 »
I usually pay £3 to £3.50 for mine at the garden centre for 3kgs, but I don't know about Poundland being cheap.  Went in there last week and yes theirs were £1 (strangely enough!) but the bags only weighed 200gms!  Couldn't see any bigger bags

Thats right Grannie...in Poundland I got 10 lovely PJs for my squid, but in Wilkos you only get 5 for the small packs.........so I suppose its a question of how many you need, and what variety you are after :D

blackisgreen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 11:12 »
just got 25k bag of homeguard £11.00 were £9.50 last year

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 15:14 »
Paid £3.99 for a 2.5kg bag of Lady Christl at my local garden centre; not a bargain but then again they're the only spuds I shall be growing this year (also, last year I must have driven about 50 miles visiting every likely shop I could think of looking for the best choice and value; daft or what?)

Last year I bought a 3kg bag of Charlotte seed spuds which contained just over 30; this year's 2.5kg bag of LC contained 45.

Size Matters!
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

randombod

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 15:25 »
to be honest i use ones chitting away that i have got left over from supermarket bags and every year they work well for me  i got a bag of reds for 30p at morrisons and if they chit i thrown them in the ground and they thrive

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 15:41 »
I suggest you have a good read of this thread, randombod:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=50572.0

xx
Blight resistant spuds and spuds in buckets?

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

45 Replies
Last post January 24, 2010, 16:36
by shokkyy
xx
1/2 Price GYO Subscription

Started by little sweetpeas on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 26, 2007, 16:04
by DD.
xx
Price of fertiliser

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 12, 2011, 09:27
by Kristen
xx
the price of Growmore

Started by blackbob on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post February 12, 2010, 14:32
by BostonInbred

Page created in 0.528 seconds with 30 queries.